• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in France

Has anyone ever worked on an IT contract in France?

Also, was it an English speaking environment?
    Did they expect you to be able to speak some French?

Any other useful info would be much appreciated.

Companies such as Airbus, Thales, EADS, etc... must use a lot of contract staff.

In my experience French companies generally require their employees to be French speaking.

There is very little contracting in France as we know it, you may have to consider Switzerland if you are a mono-lingual contractor.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Cojak - I know what you mean. It seems Belgium and Holland offer much better opportunities for the English-speaking contractor.

Comment

I think your information is out-of-date.

Norrahe lives in the Netherlands and is in the process of learning Dutch. Dutch companies are using 'Dutch-speakers only' these days as well.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I can speak Double Dutch pretty well!

Comment

I've been offered them but the tax laws don't make it worth it.

Some contracts require French and others don't but if you wish to get on in the country generally you need to speak basic French otherwise everyday life will be a struggle.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've seen a lot that say 'French Nationals only' - which is obviously against EU rules but at the end of they they'll just bin your cv if you're not....

I've seen ads in German classifieds that say:

"Attractive Secretary required"

"Flat for rent, Nice German couples Only"

Sometimes think it's only the UK that has gone hyper-PC....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I've seen a lot that say 'French Nationals only' - which is obviously against EU rules but at the end of they they'll just bin your cv if you're not....

I've seen ads in German classifieds that say:

"Attractive Secretary required"

"Flat for rent, Nice German couples Only"

Sometimes think it's only the UK that has gone hyper-PC....
                Being PC in adverts doesn't mean your recruitment practices are PC and applications aren't binned.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by up4it View Post
                  Has anyone ever worked on an IT contract in France?

Also, was it an English speaking environment?
                  Did they expect you to be able to speak some French?

Any other useful info would be much appreciated.

Companies such as Airbus, Thales, EADS, etc... must use a lot of contract staff.
                  I've worked twice in France and I guess I was lucky because both times the projects were English speaking. Generally if it's a global multinational, then English is generally spoken.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I believe quite a few jobs in Airbus are English speaking.

Comment

Working...
                    X