• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should one accept practically any old Linkedin contact request?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should one accept practically any old Linkedin contact request?

Every now and then I receive Linkedin requests to accept someone as a contact/link or whatever they call it.

Until now if I haven't recognized the name, or if they look like pimps, I have ignored the request. But I wonder if a larger circle of contacts might not be somehow beneficial, and consequently I am thinking of accepting any that come my way, especially if the requestor looks as if they are in an interesting company.

So what do the congregation think? What are the pros and cons of a restrictive v "promiscuous" approach?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I love being a total tart. So far no agent has hassled me about jobs unless I asked them first.

Its not facebook!

Comment

Recently I seem to have been getting a lot of requests from Bob's that I have never met or worked with

Comment

You should look at LinkedIn from a sales & marketing point of view. Do you want 10 guys that already know you are good to see your adept comment on database design or do you want lots of potential customers? I have started to post links to what I think is appropriate news stories and I am starting to see more people traffic through my profile I also comment on a few EA / TA type forums and its the feedback I tend to get is very positive. I know some people that are very against pimps and the link trawling, but at the end of the day they are always the guys that come sniffing when they are out of work.

Comment

Brillo, agents don't link with you to hassle you about jobs. They link with you to get to hassle your contacts, particularly ones with titles like Project Manager or Programme Manager. You've forgotten the first rule of contracting ! All agents are c**ts !!
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Brillo, agents don't link with you to hassle you about jobs. They link with you to get to hassle your contacts, particularly ones with titles like Project Manager or Programme Manager. You've forgotten the first rule of contracting ! All agents are c**ts !!
            So all your jobs have magically appeared out of fairy dust have they?

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
              Recently I seem to have been getting a lot of requests from Bob's that I have never met or worked with
              Me too it's really annoying even worse is the questions they ask in the groups I am part of it's cringeworthy
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                Me too it's really annoying even worse is the questions they ask in the groups I am part of it's cringeworthy
                No they are fantastic, I keep a few handy to show clients why they should be outsourcing their business...

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  you can hide your contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                    you can hide your contacts.
                    But then whats the point?

Comment

Working...
                    X