• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tool Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool Advice

Ok chaps, seeing as you are all boys who like their “toys” I am thinking about getting a Dremel, but there seems to be lots of options.

So do any of you have one? Or could any of you recommend a model?

I will be using for occasional DIY / Craft projects with leather / plastic / thin metal mostly for sanding & cutting.

I don’t need it to be cordless unless this is a major advantage.

Thanks
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Ok chaps, seeing as you are all boys who like their “toys” I am thinking about getting a Dremel, but there seems to be lots of options.

So do any of you have one? Or could any of you recommend a model?

I will be using for occasional DIY / Craft projects with leather / plastic / thin metal mostly for sanding & cutting.

I don’t need it to be cordless unless this is a major advantage.

Thanks

Cordless is easy to use. I bought a cheap "Parkside" one from Lidle for about £20ish however, it is not very accurate as the rotation is slightly off centre. Next time I might go for the Bosch cordless.

BTW, I bought some diamond drills and cutting disks, they are brilliant for cutting and drilling glass.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I have a Proxxon one, I haven't used it a massive amount but I'm happy with it.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I have a Proxxon one, I haven't used it a massive amount but I'm happy with it.
        I would vote for Proxxon too. I have a couple of Dremels - a cordless one which stopped working after very little use and a 400 model which is ok, but some of the accessories are not such great quality. I dont have a Proxxon Dremel type tool but I do have a couple of other Proxxon tools like a disc sander and a little belt sander, they are well made and quiet.

Comment

Dremel 4000 here. Only used it a few times including last weekend when I sanded down a few mm of the side of the gate as I'm too tight to buy a proper plane.

Edit: It's a 300 series not 4000, just checked.
          Last edited by Pondlife; 11 January 2013, 09:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            I sanded down a few mm of the side of the gate as I'm too tight to buy a proper plane.
            You can make one by skillful folding of a sheet of paper
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              I will be using for occasional DIY / Craft projects with leather / plastic / thin metal mostly for sanding & cutting
              Bondage suits?

I have had a Dremel for a long time - it seemed like a good idea at the time but to be honest the only useful thing I have used it for is sharpening my chain saws

I found that a cordless drill was far more useful - and I particularly recommend the Hitachi 18volt Lithium Ion jobby

Now if you want a tool for sanding the Fein multimaster has been a pleasant suprise
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
              X