• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Realtime PAYE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realtime PAYE

After spending my whole life as a permie, I have finally shed the ‘golden handcuffs’ and started working as a contractor; no major drama but I do have a few niggling questions:-
    I will be paying myself for the first time this month and had planned to pay myself £750 so as to draw undue HMRC attention to myself(my accountant is fine with this). Problem I can foresee is that one of the parameters I must supply to HMRC when running payroll is my hours. The minimum wage is currently £6.19 for my age group which would equate to £928.50 if I declared that I only work 37.5 hours a week. So, paying less than this amount would surely trigger suspicion ?
    What is peoples thinking on this ?

Originally posted by Georgey48 View Post
    After spending my whole life as a permie, I have finally shed the ‘golden handcuffs’ and started working as a contractor; no major drama but I do have a few niggling questions:-
    I will be paying myself for the first time this month and had planned to pay myself £750 so as to draw undue HMRC attention to myself(my accountant is fine with this). Problem I can foresee is that one of the parameters I must supply to HMRC when running payroll is my hours. The minimum wage is currently £6.19 for my age group which would equate to £928.50 if I declared that I only work 37.5 hours a week. So, paying less than this amount would surely trigger suspicion ?
    What is peoples thinking on this ?
    you are a director working part time. Very different rules apply.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      you are a director working part time. Very different rules apply.
      Ah, I see. So theoretically, I could, for example submit that I’m working 10hrs a week and paying myself £18.75/hr ? The rest of the time I spending dreaming up new strategy or whatever directors do ?

Many thanks for your reply

Comment

As I understand it, directors without a contract of employment don't need to follow NMW rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          As I understand it, directors without a contract of employment don't need to follow NMW rules.
          Hi Maslins,
          I'm probably being overly paranoid regarding the IR35 and tax obligation in general; it's nice to have it straight in my own head.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            Concur...

Of course, if your company is about to go to the wall, write yourself a contract quickly and dig in for the statutory redundancy claim

Comment

Originally posted by Georgey48 View Post
              Hi Maslins,
              I'm probably being overly paranoid regarding the IR35 and tax obligation in general; it's nice to have it straight in my own head.
              I think you need to read up on IR35. It's per contract, not how the director pays himself.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X