• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The economy is booming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The economy is booming

Honda's cutting 800 jobs due to lack of demand throughout Europe.
    Last edited by eek; 11 January 2013, 08:54.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Swindon has been going downhill ever since DimPrawn moved out ...
    Last edited by AtW; 11 January 2013, 09:00.

Comment

In all fairness, Hinda produce gthe dullest cars known to mankind, probably only just keeping ahead of Lexus. This doesn't surprise me, as there are much better cars out there, for less money. I expect them to pick up their ideas over the next 3/4 years and start producing cars people want. The Koreans have really upped their game and Honda need to, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Honda need to, too.
        Didn't they make a Honda Ballet at some point?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

In all fairness, Hinda produce gthe dullest cars known to mankind, probably only just keeping ahead of Lexus. This doesn't surprise me, as there are much better cars out there, for less money. I expect them to pick up their ideas over the next 3/4 years and start producing cars people want. The Koreans have really upped their game and Honda need to, too.
          Indeed, but it's not only Honda that are boring consumers to death. Some of the problems of the car industry are due to the boring eckonommick debty crisissy thingummy, but some are undoubtedly to do with the enormous supply of mindnumbingly dull and overpriced grey metal boxes that are on offer; see Peugeot, Opel-Vauxhall, Ford, Seat and others. Look at some of the more 'fun' offerings and you'll see what I mean; Fiat are struggling with most models but can't produce enough 500s to go round while Mini are looking for new factory capacity and will start up in Holland next year. Agreed, Kia and Hyundai are suddenly starting to look interesting.

Also, with the economy being bad you can now buy some very smart 2nd hand cars for the price of a new Panda.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Indeed, but it's not only Honda that are boring consumers to death. Some of the problems of the car industry are due to the boring eckonommick debty crisissy thingummy, but some are undoubtedly to do with the enormous supply of mindnumbingly dull and overpriced grey metal boxes that are on offer; see Peugeot, Opel-Vauxhall, Ford, Seat and others. Look at some of the more 'fun' offerings and you'll see what I mean; Fiat are struggling with most models but can't produce enough 500s to go round while Mini are looking for new factory capacity and will start up in Holland next year. Agreed, Kia and Hyundai are suddenly starting to look interesting.

Also, with the economy being bad you can now buy some very smart 2nd hand cars for the price of a new Panda.
            Indeed, you can (last sentance).

GM are trying to produce fun cars, but naming them Adam will surely kill them.

Looking at Ford, I think they're bringing out revolutionary ideas, in the B-Max, Fiat are trying too hard to make everything 500 like, and I think will have to stop badge engineering their Chryslers. There are some interesting cars coming out soon.

Comment

Indeed, you can (last sentance).

GM are trying to produce fun cars, but naming them Adam will surely kill them.

Looking at Ford, I think they're bringing out revolutionary ideas, in the B-Max, Fiat are trying too hard to make everything 500 like, and I think will have to stop badge engineering their Chryslers. There are some interesting cars coming out soon.
              They've seemed determined to murder Lancia for years now; the Ypsilon's very popular in Italy and in Europe's trendier cities, but what they need to make is a new Fulvia at about the price of a Fiat Punto and it would sell like hotcakes. They showed off this almost sexually appealing thing a while ago but never seemed to get round to building it and have now started sticking Lancia badges on hideous American turds.

Comment

The S2000 was their last decent car and there is no sign of a replacement.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If I was running Lancia, I'd talk to the engineers and say 'stop producing rebadged Chryslers immediately; there will be three models from now on; the Ypsilon, the Musa (which sell well in Europe) and a new Fulvia, which must have a starting price of no more than 15 thousand euros. Fine if you have to make it front wheel drive to use an existing wheelbase and keep it cheap, the people who buy it won't care anyway; they want something that looks like they've bought it in a boutique in Milan. Once the money rolls in we can make a big coupé of our own.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    If I was running Lancia, I'd talk to the engineers and say 'stop producing rebadged Chryslers immediately; there will be three models from now on; the Ypsilon, the Musa (which sell well in Europe) and a new Fulvia, which must have a starting price of no more than 15 thousand euros. Fine if you have to make it front wheel drive to use an existing wheelbase and keep it cheap, the people who buy it won't care anyway; they want something that looks like they've bought it in a boutique in Milan. Once the money rolls in we can make a big coupé of our own.'
                    I had an S3 Fulvia V4 as a kid, and they were front drive, so I wouldn't object to a new one being thus. The Ypsillon is a rebadged Fiat 500, but looks fine. The Musa, iirc, is a rebadged Fiat Idea isn't it? I kind of like the idea that Lancia is like Riley was to Mini i.e. the luxury arm, but they do need to refocus. I loved the Lancias of old, even the old Betas in the 80's, and was shocked when they went down.

I agree about Lancia, just about the only car manufacturer I'd weep about if they did go down (Maybe alfa would get a few tears too).

Comment

Working...
                    X