• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know anything about cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about cars?

I know absolutely nothing about cars at all - my family never had one, I did not get one until I was 25 etc.

However, my wife will hopefully be passing her test soon and will want a car. It looks like the best bet for us is oen of those big people carrier things, the ones with loads of seat or storage space depending on how you configure it.

Can anyone recommend any ones which are particularly good or ones to avoid? I would probably want to spend less than 5k if I can.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about cars at all - my family never had one, I did not get one until I was 25 etc.

However, my wife will hopefully be passing her test soon and will want a car. It looks like the best bet for us is oen of those big people carrier things, the ones with loads of seat or storage space depending on how you configure it.

Can anyone recommend any ones which are particularly good or ones to avoid? I would probably want to spend less than 5k if I can.
    If you have kids, you can pick up an ex mobility Scenic for around 5-6k, 3 years old, under 30k normally. I genuinely don't think you could get a better family car for the money, if I am being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

Vauxhall Zafira - a real boring g*ts car, 7 seats but not too big, reliable and cheap(ish) parts. I just bought one, for £5K I would think you'll get an 08/09 plate with 30-40K on the clock.

Comment

What's your criteria for best?

Do you need 7 seats or will 5 do?

What's important?

Space?
        Sporty drive?
        Fuel economy?
        Reliability?
        Cheap to service and repair?
        Comfort and luxury?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          What's your criteria for best?

Do you need 7 seats or will 5 do?

What's important?

Space?
          Sporty drive?
          Fuel economy?
          Reliability?
          Cheap to service and repair?
          Comfort and luxury?
          DP, I think the operative fact here is £5k

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            Vauxhall Zafira - a real boring g*ts car, 7 seats but not too big, reliable and cheap(ish) parts. I just bought one, for £5K I would think you'll get an 08/09 plate with 30-40K on the clock.
            I'd agree with this, but have an unreasonable and pathological hatred of Vauxhalls.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              DP, I think the operative fact here is £5k
              £5K won't go far on the options list of a new Mercedes.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                I'd agree with this, but have an unreasonable and pathological hatred of Vauxhalls.
                Yep, there's something about them, agree 100%

Except pimped up Corsas. Like them lots.

Comment

Volvo XC70 or V70. If you have one of these the question "will it fit in the car" is usually answered "yes".
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Have you asked her what colour she wants?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X