• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wallop, she's gone daaarrn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallop, she's gone daaarrn

I was having an afternoon kip just before christmas, when the wind chimes started a-chiming.

The bedside lamp rattled and the windows shook. Then the was a low rumbling noise then a thud in the distance.
    It went on for hours. Thwo of the light fittings came loose and dropped off.

Someone somewhere was having some building work done, and it was serious stuff.

Then mrs EO noticed a gap in the trees over the back, so we meandered over yesterday to check it out. A whole house had gone

We checked it out on google earth then went round to chat to the neighbours.

Apparently the owners had a conservatory put in last year, but with shallow footings. The house is near some old mine works and the whole thing subsided , taking the house with it.

The family are now living in a B&B and apparently the insurance has told them to do one

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

bluddy hell!

(btw , everyone likes looking at holes that aren't in their garden)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I was having an afternoon kip just before christmas, when the wind chimes started a-chiming.

The bedside lamp rattled and the windows shook. Then the was a low rumbling noise then a thud in the distance.
      It went on for hours. Thwo of the light fittings came loose and dropped off.

Someone somewhere was having some building work done, and it was serious stuff.

Then mrs EO noticed a gap in the trees over the back, so we meandered over yesterday to check it out. A whole house had gone

We checked it out on google earth then went round to chat to the neighbours.

Apparently the owners had a conservatory put in last year, but with shallow footings. The house is near some old mine works and the whole thing subsided , taking the house with it.

The family are now living in a B&B and apparently the insurance has told them to do one

You must live in the North or wales -
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        You must live in the North or wales -
        oop Norf

old mine workings near Leigh.

Apparently, its safe as long as you have good foundations.

Hang on a mo, I cant reach the keyboar
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Do the insurance have to right to tell them to do one?

Comment

oop Norf

If it was coal, tell them to get in touch with the Coal Authority. They have responsibility for all the legacy mine workings in the UK, including subsidence and collapse and putting it right when it happens.

Insurance may be refusing if they didn't get a mining search done as part of the house purchase so didn't declare it on their insurance.

Home - The Coal Authority
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

oop Norf

It doesn't sound like good foundations would of saved them, sounds like a whole seam has collapsed for it to be that dramatic. If you drive up the East Lancs Rd you know you are near Leigh when it gets very bumpy. It also had lots of leaning houses when I was a kid, since knocked down i think. I'd move quick !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                It doesn't sound like good foundations would of saved them, sounds like a whole seam has collapsed for it to be that dramatic. If you drive up the East Lancs Rd you know you are near Leigh when it gets very bumpy. It also had lots of leaning houses when I was a kid, since knocked down i think. I'd move quick !
                How can I move ??

no one will buy this place now that that cnt over the road has put solar panels on his roof

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

How can I move ??

no one will buy this place now that that cnt over the road has put solar panels on his roof

Can't you knock his house down?

Comment

How can I move ??

Tunnel under his house (there might be a convenient mine tunnel ready made for you), prop it up with some logs while you dig out the foundations and then pull the logs out. Top tip; run very fast when you pull the logs out.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X