• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passport Renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport Renewal

Mines gonna expire in Aug, any way of renewing it while keeping it for travel, working in Dublin for the foreseeable, other than a trip to Liverpool?

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Mines gonna expire in Aug, any way of renewing it while keeping it for travel, working in Dublin for the foreseeable, other than a trip to Liverpool?
    You either need to get a 2nd passport, which will require a trip to Liverpool/Newport or you need to use their same day service which also requires a trip to Liverpool/Newport.

Stuck mine through the washing machine before Xmas. F'ing nightmare!

Comment

You don't need a passport to travel to Ireland from the UK. I've done it with another form of ID.

Ireland travel advice

Comment

Passport Renewal

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
        You don't need a passport to travel to Ireland from the UK. I've done it with another form of ID.

Ireland travel advice
        Fly Ryanair, say no more....

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Surely durham on a Saturday is doable?
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Passport Renewal

Originally posted by eek View Post
            https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Surely durham on a Saturday is doable?
            Yeah cheers - doable..

NLUK, travel a business expense?

Comment

Yeah cheers - doable..

NLUK, travel a business expense?
              It is in my book. I am too tight to go on holidays so passport is only needed for business trips so wholly and exclusively
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post

Ireland travel advice
                What the FCO says is one thing but you have to be very careful to distinguish between what the immigration controls require and what your transport mode requires. Even then, immigration controls vary widely depending if you cross by air, sea or land.

I flew there probably 40 or 50 times using my old paper driving license, ID checks were only done maybe 1 in 10 trips for many years. They clamped down a lot sometime in the late 1990's. The Irish check every time if you are flying though the British rarely do. These days we use our passports because it's the easiest way.

If you are unfortunate enough to fly with Ryanair then their terms of carriage are that you ALWAYS need your passport or national identify card. Since the UK doesn't have a national ID card, that won't be an option if you are British.

Other carriers allow non passport ID like a photo driving license (check with the operator). You also have to be careful using non passport ID if you were not born in the UK or Ireland - you may have difficulty at immigration as it's not immediately obvious to them that you are a British or Irish national entitled to use the common travel area.

Coming from Ireland back to the UK is pretty relaxed, when flying you don't normally need to produce any ID at the UK border as long as you retain your boarding pass and use the dedicated lane for the common travel area. On the ferry they just wave you through. The army checkpoints for Northern Ireland were dismantled years ago and the border isn't even marked these days.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

If you are doing the same day service for passport renewal, book well ahead. I needed to do this back end last year, and it was a case of one appt slot the next week or nothing for three weeks (London).

Same day process was straight forward, and I am always happy for clients to claim cost of passports.

Comment

Working...
                  X