• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problem with Limited company management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Limited company management

Hi I have a problem with a management company who are managing my ltd company.

Basically, I was contracting last year. It took ages to get it set up. eventually I did and did it through a company called IMS. Unfortunately for me, the contract was suddenly ended two weeks after the set up.

When I spoke to IMS before the set up I was told I would only be charged for weeks I invoice.

I invoiced them 2 weeks worth and then asked to leave IMS as I wasn't contracting anymore.

I didn't hear anything back.

I then went on the website to see if I needed to do anything there. And I saw a form saying "stop services with IMS". It didn't mention any fees or anything just said to fill out the form to stop the services with IMS.

So I filled it out and sent an email saying I assume that I will not be charged for this.

Then because of certain things in my personal life happenned, I did not check my emails for a few weeks and as I assumed this would be the end of it I didn't bother to check old emails.

Then today I get a bill from IMS for the 2 weeks of invoices (fair enough), but also for several weeks of "stopping charges" in total amounting to £350.

So I went back to check my emails and indeed I did get a reply from them saying that it was a stopping service which carries an admin charge every week and is to put the account on hold not to stop services with them.

So now I don't know what to do.

I'm a bit peeved that I wasn't told about stopping charges beforehand or during filling out the form and I do not have the funds to pay them £350 as I have been out of work for a few months now.

any advice on how to proceed please?

I would suggest you check the terms and conditions you signed, and check if you agreed to these fees when you signed up. If not, you have grounds to contest them.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Good advice from Clare. You've said they were managing your Ltd company - are they an accountancy firm or an umbrella???
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Hi, they are an accountancy company.

I don't think they were in the t&cs, but I will check that.

The main gripe I have is that these fees were not mentioned in the stopping services form or that my original request to stop services with them altogether was ignored.

Obviously I have made a mistake in assuming that stopping services meant actually stopping it, but I don't want to give them money for doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by floricita View Post
          Obviously I have made a mistake in assuming that stopping services meant actually stopping it, but I don't want to give them money for doing nothing.
          Why not? We do when we are contracted to them!!
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes. But when I cease to be a contractor I meant

Comment

As you mentioned that they set up and managed your Ltd I would think this was an off the shelf managed service company. As such they were running your Ltd for you. IIRC this means two things;

1) There are overheads that still need to be processed. filing your accounts for the year, winding up the company etc. Hence the admin fee.
              2) Like working thru a brolly, you will be deemed inside IR35

On 6 April 2007 Chapter 9 ITEPA 2003, more commonly known as the Managed Service Company (“MSC”) Legislation, was introduced. The MSC Legislation applies to individuals providing their services through intermediaries which meet the definition of a Managed Service Company.
              From here

HTH

Comment

Hi thanks.

There were no set up fees etc and I went for the basic package which was £35/week + vat for every week of invoice + extra fees when you file the accounts etc.

As mentioned, unfortunately because the contract ended abruptly I only had 2 weeks processing from them which I am happy to pay for. I then tried to stop their services, and I emailed them this + later that week filled out a stop services form which I assumed to be the one to fill out to actually stop services with them. No charges were mentioned at anytime.

However they just sent an invoice for £350 which includes x2 weeks invoicing which is correct + several weeks of stopping charges, which upon further investigation I know now is charges applied for holding the account until you contract again. However I did not want this, and was not told about charges beforehand for this and said to them I want to stop working with you.

Comment

Working...
                X