• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holland breaks traffic jam record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holland breaks traffic jam record

This morning, longest total traffic jams in the Netherlands in history as the whole country was coated in a few cms of snow; 1400km total, that's 400km more than the previous record from 1999, a day which I remember well, having travelled from Zwolle to Den Haag, a distance of about 130km in 6.5 hours. This morning I managed the 94kms to permieHQ in 2.5 hours, so I was lucky. But this time, half the trains were cancelled (the new super duper winter rail policy is to deliberately cancel half the trains when it snows) and nobody from the Ministry of Transport on the news seems to connect the facts 'trains cancelled' and 'record traffic jams'; maybe it's because the broadcasters are mostly public employees who wouldn't want to lay the blame on other public employees. Maybe it's 'coz they is thick.

Now I know there are going to be delays with snow; it's not Switzerland or Norway or some other highly efficient, well run, hard working little country, but come on; cancel half the trains, watch the traffic jams grow and then advise people not to go on the road 'because it's very busy'. I noticed as I arrived that the only other people in PermieHQ are one of the fit secretaries who lives around the corner, yours truly (formerly self employed and currently setting up a new BU in which I will have a share), the boss (who owns the company) and two BU directors who have shares. Is it some coincidence that the only people to turn up are those who either live nextdoor or have some direct stake in the firm's success, i.e. feel the pain in their pocket if they don't bother to turn up?

Is it a coincidence that the people who decide to cancel half the trains don't actually need to run any trains to receive their salary and gold plated public sector pension?

Rant over.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 15 January 2013, 08:39.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Rant over.
    Chill out - go into one of those cafe's with special coffee and be grateful that you did not die in a horror car accident on a day like this.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Chill out - go into one of those cafe's with special coffee and be grateful that you did not die in a horror car accident on a day like this.
      I might book a local hotel room for tonight seeing as I have meetings until 21h (and somebody will turn up). I don't think there have been any horror car accidents; difficult to get killed when everyone's driving slowly, unless some cock in an Audi decides he'll try out his four wheel drive ' I think I'm a Finnish rally driver but actually I'm a fat useless twit' functionality, like the pillock who stuffed up this morning while trying to bypass the jams by driving through a petrol station at high speed.

Comment

I might book a local hotel room for tonight seeing as I have meetings until 21h (and somebody will turn up). I don't think there have been any horror car accidents; difficult to get killed when everyone's driving slowly, unless some cock in an Audi decides he'll try out his four wheel drive ' I think I'm a Finnish rally driver but actually I'm a fat useless twit' functionality, like the pillock who stuffed up this morning while trying to bypass the jams by driving through a petrol station at high speed.
        I sense much anger in you.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I sense much anger in you.
          I'm alright now.

Comment

I thought everyone rode bicycles in Holland.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

half the trains were cancelled (the new super duper winter rail policy is to deliberately cancel half the trains when it snows)

I noticed as I arrived that the only other people in PermieHQ are one of the fit secretaries who lives around the corner...
              1. Just like South East England

2. Opportunity - why not lodge at hers

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                1. Just like South East England

2. Opportunity - why not lodge at hers
                She offered me the baby room.

Comment

She offered me the baby room.
                  I am getting visions of a strapping rugby forward, a cot and feet sticking out of the door

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                    I am getting visions of a strapping rugby forward, a cot and feet sticking out of the door
                    What goes on tour stays on tour.

Comment

Working...
                    X