• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How does your partner describe your work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does your partner describe your work?

After a recent conversation with my parents I realised they had no idea what I do and described my work as "working with computers, never has a job for very long, always moving jobs and doesn't get to live at home very much, something to do with laptops" ????

I asked Gf chef and got a slightly less vague response but still no real idea.

this got me thinking, does anyone's partner on here have a clue what they do really?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    After a recent conversation with my parents I realised they had no idea what I do and described my work as "working with computers, never has a job for very long, always moving jobs and doesn't get to live at home very much, something to do with laptops" ????

this got me thinking, does anyone's partner on here have a clue what they do really?
    She knows about the testing bit.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

from my point of view, the less they all know the better...
      Join IPSE

Comment

I'm not entirely sure myself.

Comment

'something to do with computers.' She doesn't even know which country my boss lives in.

strangely she expects me to understand her business completely and advise her, then complains about how unobservant I am. Makes me laugh.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

She knows I'm a freelance software developer and it that it involves writing code, but no more than that... although that's probably doing quite well for a non-techy.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

Ah, you work with computers do you? Mine's really slow, how do I fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                I'm not entirely sure myself.
                WHS
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I tend to get the 'he does **** all' and "apparently it's a piece of piss" answers when Frau D. is asked what I do with the occasional "types letters on a keyboard and moans a lot"
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The job title of 'Computational Linguist' or 'Phonetician' doesn't mean a whole lot to anyone outside my field, so my other half describing me as that would be pointless. I think he'd just say that I work in Automatic Speech Recognition.
                    True enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X