• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Less really is more

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less really is more

Linky

One of Britain’s most popular bitters is being watered down to save money as a third of every pint now goes to the tax man.

John Smith’s Extra Smooth is being reduced from 3.8 per cent alcohol to 3.6 per cent - and the price per pint is set to rise, it has been reported.

The brand, which is raising the price of the famous bitter by roughly 2.5p a pint, told The Financial Times that the move would bring the alcohol content in line with that of its competitors, including its biggest rival Carlsberg’s Tetley Smoothflow.
    Good move. Hopefully no one will buy the tulipe and it will cease to be made.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Linky

Good move. Hopefully no one will buy the tulipe and it will cease to be made.
    WHS, undrinkable pigswill.

I'm scratching my head why the government aren't doing anything about the taxation of pub sold booze, I'm sure their total tax take must be falling all the time as pubs close down ( about to lose my local ). The high tax plus the supermarkets using booze as a loss leader means we'll not have many pubs left at this rate.

Comment

A lot of the "mass produced" beers have gone downhill since they became produced in a central location as opposed to their traditional home breweries.

Many had unique flavours which have now been lost.

Comment

so at <£0.40p a pint to produce and sold at £1.20 to pubs who I assume pay the tax on top they must be poverty stricken.

If only they actually made it taste nice I would be impressed.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          WHS, undrinkable pigswill.

I'm scratching my head why the government aren't doing anything about the taxation of pub sold booze, I'm sure their total tax take must be falling all the time as pubs close down ( about to lose my local ). The high tax plus the supermarkets using booze as a loss leader means we'll not have many pubs left at this rate.
          Price doesn't have much affect on booze consumption. The unwashed masses have nothing to live for other than booze so they're willing to pump all their money into it, no matter what the cost.

Comment

Foul muck. Wouldn't be missed if they just stopped making it altogether.

Comment

Ditto that.

Always liked Yorkshire brews, but there's something not right about that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                Price doesn't have much affect on booze consumption. The unwashed masses have nothing to live for other than booze so they're willing to pump all their money into it, no matter what the cost.
                Yes, but they are buying it from supermarkets and not in boozers.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  Yes, but they are buying it from supermarkets and not in boozers.
                  The undercultured swines.

Comment

Guardian says they're raising the price by 25p, not 2.5p

Doesn't affect me but still...

Comment

Working...
                    X