• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No brainer .....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No brainer .....

I can't believe I've managed to get in this situation after reading all the sage advice on these forums.

Current client co is within a few miles from home and seemed a good gig when I signed the contract - a three monther with no notice period -

It turns out the place has managed to produce nothing for me to test in the seven weeks I've been here. Last Friday was the final straw and I told the agents I would leave on the 18th Jan.

Here's the rub. The agent's will make a claim against my ltd co for their 'lost profits' if I break the contract, bearing in mind there's a couple of weeks timesheets waiting to invoice it's not something they would have difficulty in doing.

I've already been offered another gig which will run-out past the current end-date of this gig and with shed loads of work/hours available I can cash-in for a good couple of months ....

Should I take the hit and the deduction from this gigs money (bearing in mind there's no way the client will extend after I told them I was sick of being here) and 'koff to the other one, or sit down, shut up and see out the term at boredom central?

Some advice buried within the merciless p-taking would be appreciated.

Sorry from the title I thought this was a thread about MF.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Are you sure you're cut out for contracting?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Surely the agent will actually have to suffer a loss to charge you for leaving early? What if they get someone lined up to replace you?

If the gig is not what you agreed to then leave.

Edit: and if you do decide to leave insist the agent proves their lost profits.
        Last edited by Zippy; 15 January 2013, 15:38.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Right of substitution?

(Yeah, I know, but somebody was bound to say it…)

Comment

I'd personally sit it out, and would of also kept my trap shut other than a polite have you got any work each week. I very much doubt if the agent would carry out their threat if you play hard ball. But to cover yourself speak to the client nicely and explain why you are frustrated and suggest if there is nothing to do why don't they save some money by letting you go. And also confirming there will be no work for you in an email.

Comment

Clientco could tell agent that they no longer require your services as there is no work for you and therefore terminate the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                Clientco could tell agent that they no longer require your services as there is no work for you and therefore terminate the contract.
                The client co appear to have less idea of contracts/contracting than me. I've been hinting that for some time. Maybe I should be more direct and punch someone?

Didn't it work for someone who posts on here regularly?

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                  I can't believe I've managed to get in this situation after reading all the sage advice on these forums.

Current client co is within a few miles from home and seemed a good gig when I signed the contract - a three monther with no notice period -

It turns out the place has managed to produce nothing for me to test in the seven weeks I've been here. Last Friday was the final straw and I told the agents I would leave on the 18th Jan.

Here's the rub. The agent's will make a claim against my ltd co for their 'lost profits' if I break the contract, bearing in mind there's a couple of weeks timesheets waiting to invoice it's not something they would have difficulty in doing.

I've already been offered another gig which will run-out past the current end-date of this gig and with shed loads of work/hours available I can cash-in for a good couple of months ....

Should I take the hit and the deduction from this gigs money (bearing in mind there's no way the client will extend after I told them I was sick of being here) and 'koff to the other one, or sit down, shut up and see out the term at boredom central?

Some advice buried within the merciless p-taking would be appreciated.
                  point to the clause in your contract that states that your company is under no obligation to accept work from the client. Then tell the agent that you will set a debt collection agency on them should they attempt to withhold money from you for timesheets that have been signed by the end client...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Sorry from the title I thought this was a thread about MF.
                    Giggle
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X