• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS could save billions replacing paper with really expensive machines....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHS could save billions replacing paper with really expensive machines....

FFS

BBC News - Going paperless 'would save NHS billions'

The partners at PWC must be rolling round on the floor like a bunch of smash robots at the thought of the money that is going to come their way

This could be re-cycled every year since they started NPfIT / Connecting for Health.

Comment

Saw this in the Guardian this morning and it made me laugh. In particular this quote:

Unlike the Labour scheme, under which the Department of Health in Whitehall attempted to design a national database and ask five different organisations to build it, the current government will set out national standards for different IT systems to "talk to each other", but allow more than 200 clinical commissioning groups of GPs who will take charge of patient care from April to design and purchase their own programmes.
      So they're planning on multiple systems. Knowing how government works, this isn't. Idiots...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Saw this in the Guardian this morning and it made me laugh. In particular this quote:

So they're planning on multiple systems. Knowing how government works, this isn't. Idiots...
        Just fills me with rage that they still don't know that they can't do this stuff...

If I was Cameron at the moment I would have the health secretary in my office by 10 and out again to start their new career serving hamburgers by 5 past...

I just finished working for a very old government department that had stuff dating back to pre 1800 its all stored on parchment in climate controlled buildings. We had the usual list of muppets in to tell us about storage and none of them could get their head around the fact that the storage technology that they would specify would need to be capable of keeping data safe for 100's of years not 8. I doubt these idiots have thought about this either... Oh lets put it all on IBM Sans that will be completely out of date by 2030 despite most of the population needing their data safe until at least 2050 with posthumous stuff stored for longer...

Comment

the problems with the National NHS database start well before you even get to technology, when you have different trusts treating the same patient in different ways then is pretty impossible to build a system that caters for all these variables

DoH first tasks should be get consensus how how to treat certain illnesses, get it right on paper before you introduce a computer into the equation

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
            the problems with the National NHS database start well before you even get to technology, when you have different trusts treating the same patient in different ways then is pretty impossible to build a system that caters for all these variables

DoH first tasks should be get consensus how how to treat certain illnesses, get it right on paper before you introduce a computer into the equation
            ^ This

Always surprised me that the government didn't take one hospital and perfect the blueprint for running it end to end, then role it out like any other Starbucks or McDonald's or data centre, saying this is how you run the hospital with one set of standards. Then as you adopt changes you do the same. Target the one Hospital then role out the change... Its not rocket science.

Letting trusts think that they are clever or different is the biggest mistake...

Its the fact that every nurse or doctor seems to think that they are doing something that no one else can do...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              ^ This

Always surprised me that the government didn't take one hospital and perfect the blueprint for running it end to end, then role it out like any other Starbucks or McDonald's or data centre, saying this is how you run the hospital with one set of standards. Then as you adopt changes you do the same. Target the one Hospital then role out the change... Its not rocket science.

Letting trusts think that they are clever or different is the biggest mistake...

Its the fact that every nurse or doctor seems to think that they are doing something that no one else can do...
              Umm, is standardisation really the way forward? You have to be pretty damn certain that the standards you apply are right, because if they aren't then everybody ends up screwing it all up and you'll have no successful examples to follow.

I don't think the comparison with Starbucks or MacD really holds water; healthcare is quite a lot more complex than making coffee or hamburgers.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                healthcare is quite a lot more complex than making coffee or hamburgers.
                Why is it so hard to have a web interface to a central database that will contain patient records?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Umm, is standardisation really the way forward? You have to be pretty damn certain that the standards you apply are right, because if they aren't then everybody ends up screwing it all up and you'll have no successful examples to follow.

I don't think the comparison with Starbucks or MacD really holds water; healthcare is quite a lot more complex than making coffee or hamburgers.

you'd think so but in my experience of receiving health care from doctors and nurses their training is often a case of "symptom A+B+C = Diagnosis X" "symptom A+B+F = Diagnosis Y"

i'm no techie but at the basic level you can build systems to do that, in fact they already have with NHS Direct

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Why is it so hard to have a web interface to a central database that will contain patient records?
                    It isn't, but that's a different matter; the poster suggested standardising the way hospitals are run and suggested that part of the problem is different doctors and nurses working in different ways; I think that diverse approaches are more likely to lead to progress than standardisation.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X