• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would happen....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would happen....

....if you sold a house through an estate agent and then ignored the bill they sent at the end?

What would they do to recover the debt and how would they enforce non payers who buggered off?

Dosent your solicitor pay the estate agent from the proceeds of the sale?

If there is not enough to pay everyone then I think they ask you for the extra before they complete , but Im not certain about this.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      ....if you sold a house through an estate agent and then ignored the bill they sent at the end?

What would they do to recover the debt and how would they enforce non payers who buggered off?

Try it, find out and let us know - ta...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Guessing by the scruples (or lack of) that most agents display, I would assume that it would involve a couple of very ugly men, probably wearing leather jackets and with tattoos on their necks, and a very unfortunate 'accident' involving your knees and some blunt objects.

Anyway, I think BB is right - the solicitor will make sure this is in place first.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

How does this cosy tie up come to be between the solicitor and the estate agent?

Why does the solicitor pay the estate agent and not you?

What if you advertised your property through an estate agent but sold it privately? How does the solicitor know who to pay?

Comment

If you have an estate agent he deals with the solicitor, he's your agent in the sale. If you don't have one you deal with the solicitor (I didn't use an agent last time).
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

It's all coming back to me now.

The agent asks you for the name of the solicitor and acts as a go between and also prevents you from knowing the identity of the buyer to some extent to protect their interests.

Comment

Bingo! and does his best to slow down the process.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  How does this cosy tie up come to be between the solicitor and the estate agent?
                  It's all part of the racket known as the 'UK property market'.

You don't actually require a solicitor, or an estate agent to buy or sell property in this country. We are just mugged into it.

Don't get me started on the sellers pack

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                    It's all part of the racket known as the 'UK property market'.

You don't actually require a solicitor, or an estate agent to buy or sell property in this country. We are just mugged into it.

Don't get me started on the sellers pack
                    You really don't need an estate agent! plenty of sites where you can sell your house from £50.
                    As for the solicitor, sometimes you don't need them, depends if it's something complicated, I imagine a few people would get badly shafted by dodgy contracts. Oh course also if you have a Mortgage they will insist on a solicitor.

So if you have half a brain and no mortgage, you should DIY.

PS Can we add banks to the funeral pyre?

Comment

Working...
                    X