• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance quotes - this makes no sense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance quotes - this makes no sense

Dont understand this. Wife and I between us own two cars. We both drive each one dependent on need. We both have same no claims, similar age, I had fault claim 2 years ago she had one 4 years ago.

We have a policy for each car. One in my name, one in wifes with other person as named driver. Which makes sense.

Getting a quote from M&S at the moment. If I put me down as main driver its £50 cheaper!

In all honesty, there is no main driver - we both pretty much drive both cars the same.

I cant see how insurance can ever prove that I'm not main driver after all....

Ah - Just checked other car insurance which is in wifes name and she is down as main driver of that one. Guess it makes sense to put me down as main for this one so we're both main drivers of at least one of the cars!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Dont understand this. Wife and I between us own two cars. We both drive each one dependent on need. We both have same no claims, similar age, I had fault claim 2 years ago she had one 4 years ago.

We have a policy for each car. One in my name, one in wifes with other person as named driver. Which makes sense.

Getting a quote from M&S at the moment. If I put me down as main driver its £50 cheaper!

In all honesty, there is no main driver - we both pretty much drive both cars the same.

I cant see how insurance can ever prove that I'm not main driver after all....

Ah - Just checked other car insurance which is in wifes name and she is down as main driver of that one. Guess it makes sense to put me down as main for this one so we're both main drivers of at least one of the cars!
    Ins cos can no longer give your wife cheaper insurance just because she's a woman (presumably!). So, if you are in different age groups, this may be why you're being quoted slightly cheaper.

As regards main driver, Ins co's like someone to be nominated so, just say you're the named driver of the car registered to you and your wife, likewise.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Not as silly as that we want to fly 1-way from Helsinki to Lapland, and a return costs £100 less than a single.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Are you never coming back from Lapland then?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Are you never coming back from Lapland then?
          Just not by air!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Ins cos can no longer give your wife cheaper insurance just because she's a woman (presumably!). So, if you are in different age groups, this may be why you're being quoted slightly cheaper.

As regards main driver, Ins co's like someone to be nominated so, just say you're the named driver of the car registered to you and your wife, likewise.
            But that it - shes 3 years younger than me. And we're both in 40s.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Not as silly as that we want to fly 1-way from Helsinki to Lapland, and a return costs £100 less than a single.
              Thats called throwaway ticketing. Airlines get a bit off if they work out that you do this all the time. Strictly speaking you ain't allowed to do this.

I think the reason they do it is because singles are more likely to be full fares paid by businessmen whilst returns are most likely to be for holidays (or something like that).

Big thing in america with frequent flyers. If they catch on what you're doing they go off on one and take loyalty points off you etc.

If it was me I'd just get the return though (put the return which you aint gonna use 11 months in the future or something).

Comment

Unless they want to extradite me for not getting on a plane I bought a ticket for I'll be OK. Still crazy, you'd think this way they have less idea how many seats will be taken.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  But that it - shes 3 years younger than me. And we're both in 40s.
                  Good skills.

Comment

How an earth an insurance company could ever prove that one partner drove a car more than another is totally beyond me?

For instance, I could drive car A every day for 5 months, then wife could drive it for 7 months every day and, as such, would be main driver. If I crashed it in those 5 months, how on earth would they prove anything? What are they going to do - sit outside my house every day for 12 months and log each trip each person makes? (and what if my wife drives 2 miles, then we swap over in lay-by and I drive 18 miles? Ah ha - got them)

Also, who defines main? Most miles, most days used, most trips? Can't see how this would stand up in court.

Obviously, insuring in your name and then adding 18 yr old to policy and then letting him take motor to college 200 miles away is a bit different and easier to prove of course. But I'd imagine that's not easy to prove. Could genuinely have lent your motor to son for the weekend to visit friends?

Comment

Working...
                    X