• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maddest thing I've seen in a while, though it's from the Wail.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maddest thing I've seen in a while, though it's from the Wail.

Nuclear bombs REALLY are safe: Astonishing video from 1957 shows Air Force volunteers exposing themselves to RADIATION during atomic test | Mail Online

Stone me.

10,000 feet from a 2kt detonation.

Wonder what the gamma dose from that was.

"It is not clear if any or all of the men later developed health problems as a result of their exposure to the blast."

I bet they are all fine now.

Comment

I love the idea of military "volunteers". Some how I doubt (in fact I know) that wasn't the case.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I love the idea of military "volunteers". Some how I doubt (in fact I know) that wasn't the case.
        They may well have been. Though the cameraman wasn't.

In those days smoking was thought good for you. Homosexuality was illegal. Child abuse was believed impossible. Those in positions of trust could do no wrong.

Times have changed. Praise The Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          They may well have been. Though the cameraman wasn't.

In those days smoking was thought good for you. Homosexuality was illegal. Child abuse was believed impossible. Those in positions of trust could do no wrong.
          damn. I miss the good old days
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Alcohol improved your driving as well.

It relaxed you, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              Nuclear bombs REALLY are safe: Astonishing video from 1957 shows Air Force volunteers exposing themselves to RADIATION during atomic test
              Very safe ... GF Platypus is sure that her father went to an early grave (very early) due to his exposure to radiation

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Alcohol improved your driving as well.

It relaxed you, apparently.
                It was a lot safer to be drunk when you crashed your car and weren't wearing a seatbelt, as your relaxed state meant you landed without coming to any harm after being thrown twenty feet through the air. Once you'd got past the windscreen, it was plain sailing.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  Hardly any I'd guess, because the smaller the yield the more energy goes into blast compared with radiation
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Dark humor: The volunteers marked the spot from which they will be viewing the atomic explosion with the tongue-in-cheek sign which read: 'Ground Zero: population five'
                    .... and won't be growing an more than that where ever they moved to...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X