• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When was the (peak of) the housing boom?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When was the (peak of) the housing boom?

There's a house for sale I like the look of, Zoopla shows the two houses on each side both went for £50k less than the asking price in 2005. I thought that was the peak of the boom which makes the price look optimistic - house prices on the slide for a while now and it's up >20%?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Supply and demand? house prices haven't fallen in this area

Comment

I'd say it kept going up until early 2007, we bought in 2000 and it had doubled by 2004.

It sounds like the 2 you mention were just chancing and being overly optimistic on the asking price as was the norm at the time.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Fook my ass, just went onto Zoopla and found that a house further went for 114k in 2010 shocked at that
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Trying to decide if it's overly cheeky to offer 20% below asking... last time we did that it made the seller decide another, slightly higher offer they'd rejected as too low wasn't too low after all!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Trying to decide if it's overly cheeky to offer 20% below asking... last time we did that it made the seller decide another, slightly higher offer they'd rejected as too low wasn't too low after all!
            It's cheeky to a point but still if you don't ask you don't get, plus the market isn't all that great so you could be in with a shot
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Peak of the boom...kind of means when did the price increase gradient lessen
              For virtually all areas I'd imagine that was early 2007.

Peak house prices are totally area dependant and shouldn't just be considered in isolation things like inflation, interest, earnings etc need to be considered but of course you knew that

For example in the areas Oxfordshire, Berkshire I've been looking and for the property types I'm interested in, prices have never fallen, and I mean in real terms, not price paid then vs now. Perhaps a little dip post 2007 but that's quickly been absorbed.

There's bugger all on the market and plenty of people like me who've saved up big deposits and just can't wait any longer, that coupled with 3.x% mortgages is going to do nothing to encourage sellers to lower prices. I just got gazumped on a place in Witney two weeks ago, it ended up going for only 2% less than asking.

Comment

For anywhere south of Brum, they haven't peaked yet.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  For anywhere south of Brum, they haven't peaked yet.

HTH BIDI
                  Since I'm north of Brum, it didn't

Comment

Working...
                  X