• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house - can my business help at all

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a house - can my business help at all

Hi,

I'm looking in to buying my first house. I'm wondering if having my own business can be used to my advantage when purchasing a property. I suspect I know the answer but thought it was asking just in case.

My business has a fair amount in the bank account and I did consider shutting it down and taking the tax hit for that as it would be lower then just getting hit for 40% when I take the money out.

I suppose what I'm really asking is that I've got a fair amount of cash tied up in the business, can this help me in any way, ignoring the ways where the tax man just hammers me.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve
    When a man says his word is as good as his bond take his bond.

Originally posted by swebb View Post
    I'm looking in to buying my first house. I'm wondering if having my own business can be used to my advantage when purchasing a property.
    Depends on the amount of deposit, and your credit history including past mortgages, but like for like I'd say contracting is a disadvantage for that.

Mortgage companies and banks prefer people with a nice little 9 - 5 permie job, even if these jobs are little more secure than contracting nowadays.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Depends on the amount of deposit, and your credit history including past mortgages, but like for like I'd say contracting is a disadvantage for that.

Mortgage companies and banks prefer people with a nice little 9 - 5 permie job, even if these jobs are little more secure than contracting nowadays.
      I've had a couple of mortgages as a contractor - never been a problem getting the necessary. Your market is obviously restricted, but that can work to your advantage in seeking the more obscure deals.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by swebb View Post
        Hi,
        I'm looking in to buying my first house. I'm wondering if having my own business can be used to my advantage when purchasing a property. I suspect I know the answer but thought it was asking just in case.
        Steve
        Afraid not. I think I know what you're getting at, but if there was any scheme to enable the use of company money to offset one's house purchase in any meaningful way - we'd all be doing it.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Yes it can. It can let you take out more dividends to pay for the deposit. Hope that helps
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Given the current media stories running, I read this as

Buying a horse - can my business help at all

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Buy in France, and you can circumvent the Corp tax on the amount the house costs; saves 20%

That's about it though, unless you intend on running your business from a part of the house, which allows you to use company money for a proportion, although that needs to be taken into account when selling, including any profits made,

Comment

Depends - do you have a Ltd Co or a Partnership?

Check this out.. RBS | Business Offset Service | Help to cut your personal mortgage

I believe it only applies to Partnerships, so if you're contracting with a Partnership status, you'll have full business offset.

Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
                X