• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struck off company Corporation Tax refund

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struck off company Corporation Tax refund

My company overpiad Corporation Tax before it was struck off for not submitting annual returns. I no longer need that company for trading. Is there any way to reclaim overpiad corporation tax without restoring the company?

Originally posted by mittas View Post
    My company overpiad Corporation Tax before it was struck off for not submitting annual returns. I no longer need that company for trading. Is there any way to reclaim overpiad corporation tax without restoring the company?
    Before making refunds, all HMG depts check the striking off list and if an entity is struck off then all payments are made bona vacantia to the Treasury Solicitor. You can make representation to them in the case of hardship and they are able to make discretionary payments where it is impractical or impossible to restore the company. Usually though, if it is possible to invoke administrative restoration, they will require you to go that route, which often negates any repayment and the cost can even exceed the monies involved. They all want their pound of flesh I am afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      Before making refunds, all HMG depts check the striking off list and if an entity is struck off then all payments are made bona vacantia to the Treasury Solicitor. You can make representation to them in the case of hardship and they are able to make discretionary payments where it is impractical or impossible to restore the company. Usually though, if it is possible to invoke administrative restoration, they will require you to go that route, which often negates any repayment and the cost can even exceed the monies involved. They all want their pound of flesh I am afraid.
      Thanks for quick response. Overpaid amount is quite large. There are some funds in bank account as well. If I decide to restore by court order or administrative restoration, what is the procedure for claiming refund? Do I have to submit annual returns and account for subsequent years?

Comment

Originally posted by mittas View Post
        Thanks for quick response. Overpaid amount is quite large. There are some funds in bank account as well. If I decide to restore by court order or administrative restoration, what is the procedure for claiming refund? Do I have to submit annual returns and account for subsequent years?
        HMRC wouldn't be worried about the annual returns, but you'd need to file accounts and CT returns up to date before they'd agree any refund just in case there is tax owed from other years.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
        X