PDA

View Full Version : LHR

AtW
19th January 2013, 14:31
Airplane landed late so missed my bus, snow my arse - cancelled airplanes but super massive queue at the passport control!!! :mad

Last trains canned - had to enjoy my stay at Euston's Travelodge, last room in the hotel apparently for £82 - saw note on the wall there: Wilmslow was here 2012. :eyes

minestrone
19th January 2013, 14:39
Heathrow 5 is a national embarrassment, I refuse to fly from there.

AtW
19th January 2013, 14:41

It's very nice inside.

FFS, build the ****ing 3rd runway already :mad

minestrone
19th January 2013, 14:50
Came back from the US last year, 2 hour turn around to get my connection "no probs" I thought, spent 3 hours in a snaking queue to get my bag searched multiple times.

minestrone
19th January 2013, 15:00
They should consider doing a Boris Island.

Britain is strangled by having such a narrow corridor to the EU for trade and what connections they have are fairly poor. Heathrow and Gatwick just cannot cope.

MarillionFan
19th January 2013, 15:07

Actually it's quite good. Tends to take 10 minutes max to pass through security etc to get inside. Normally 20 minutes to come out. But I do have priority checking / luggage so can queue jump.

Paddy
19th January 2013, 15:08
Airplane landed late so missed my bus, snow my arse - cancelled airplanes but super massive queue at the passport control!!! :mad

Last trains canned - had to enjoy my stay at Euston's Travelodge, last room in the hotel apparently for £82 - saw note on the wall there: Wilmslow was here 2012. :eyes

AtW going to the airport in Russia
http://rt.com/files/news/winter-275/photo-650.jpg

mos
19th January 2013, 15:16

It can be very annoying. Something similar happened to me, luckily I was able to take a taxi, mere £111. :suicide:

MarillionFan
19th January 2013, 15:52
My flight is cancelled. FFS. :suicide:

eek
19th January 2013, 15:54
Actually it's quite good. Tends to take 10 minutes max to pass through security etc to get inside. Normally 20 minutes to come out. But I do have priority checking / luggage so can queue jump.

As Nielsen would say ha ha. You jinxed your own flight by being smug

AtW
19th January 2013, 15:56

To or From?

Feckers at Heathrow did not learn lessons from 2 years ago, ****s - at the very least they should have enough passport control people, just how fecking hard is it to avoid queues when people already late?

suityou01
19th January 2013, 16:03

:banana: :banana2: :yay: :cheers:

Bacchus
19th January 2013, 16:03
It's very nice inside.

FFS, build the ****ing 3rd runway already :mad

Build Boris Island!

Hopefully last week's tragic helicopter crash will help people to wake up to the folly of having such a busy airport so close to as dense a population as London. One day a 747 or similar will flop down on Hounslow, and the death toll will be a lot higher than 2!

whilst I'm sorry for everyone caught up in the Heathrow farce, it has been nice and quiet for anyone living within 20 miles of the place (c:

AtW
19th January 2013, 16:04
Build Boris Island!

Too expensive, plus airlines are unlikely to move.

suityou01
19th January 2013, 16:07
Get a chopper next time. Share with MF :smokin

Bacchus
19th January 2013, 16:08
Too expensive.

Nah. Sell the land that Heathrow is built on for housing, it would be worth gazillions. A new town for two hundred thousand people with good transport links already there!

And the island would be a cracking engineering project. We should have been investing in infrastructure such as this for the last fifteen years instead of artificially inflating public sector wages and pensions to create the illusion of a boom

AtW
19th January 2013, 16:11
Nah.

Airline cost blow for 'Boris island' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9029773/Airline-cost-blow-for-Boris-island.html)

It won't happen.

BrilloPad
19th January 2013, 16:17
Build Boris Island!

What about SS Richard Montgomery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery) ?

And to all those with cancelled flights - good. Thats alot less global warming.

Bacchus
19th January 2013, 16:29
Airline cost blow for 'Boris island' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9029773/Airline-cost-blow-for-Boris-island.html)

It won't happen.

It won't happen, I agree, but I don't think that there is a realistic economic argument when you look at the land value of Heathrow, the real economic argument is that BAA are sitting on a fat cash cow, and for the minimal cost of an extra runway they can make it even fatter, and still own the land; bugger the human cost and the potential for a tragedy on an unprecedented scale

The other argument that Heathrow brings business to London is also completely false, as the majority of the traffic is hub traffic and serves only to fill the BAA coffers

AtW
19th January 2013, 16:37
The other argument that Heathrow brings business to London is also completely false, as the majority of the traffic is hub traffic and serves only to fill the BAA coffers

Not a bad thing so long as BAA pays all UK taxes without outrageous dodges that some big companies use.

BrilloPad
19th January 2013, 16:39
Not a bad thing so long as BAA pays all UK taxes without outrageous dodges that some big companies use.

When the news about majestic being based in the virgin islands comes out you are going to be a bit :emb

Bacchus
19th January 2013, 16:40
What about SS Richard Montgomery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery) ?

And to all those with cancelled flights - good. Thats alot less global warming.

The Richard Montgomery could be used to save money on New Year's fireworks? (c:

Robinho
19th January 2013, 16:45
It won't happen, I agree, but I don't think that there is a realistic economic argument when you look at the land value of Heathrow, the real economic argument is that BAA are sitting on a fat cash cow, and for the minimal cost of an extra runway they can make it even fatter, and still own the land; bugger the human cost and the potential for a tragedy on an unprecedented scale

No it isn't, the majority is O&D, and very high yielding traffic too.

Even if the majority was hub traffic, that wouldn't matter as people transferring in London allow greater options for Londoners, destinations that couldn't be justified on O&D alone or greater frequencies.

And what on earth is this tragedy on an unprecedented scale you talk about?

minestrone
19th January 2013, 17:10
No it isn't, the majority is O&D, and very high yielding traffic too.

Even if the majority was hub traffic, that wouldn't matter as people transferring in London allow greater options for Londoners, destinations that couldn't be justified on O&D alone or greater frequencies.

And what on earth is this tragedy on an unprecedented scale you talk about?

I'm sorry, my Swahili is not what it used to be.

Can someone translate that for me?

Robinho
19th January 2013, 17:14
I'm sorry, my Swahili is not what it used to be.

Can someone translate that for me?

O&D = Origin and destination

Basically people beginning or ending their (flying) journey at Heathrow.

AtW
19th January 2013, 17:17
When the news about majestic being based in the virgin islands comes out you are going to be a bit :emb

I've come to conclusion that it's safer to earn twice as much to offset tax rather than engage into risky schemes

:smile

Paddy
19th January 2013, 18:27
Too expensive, plus airlines are unlikely to move.

It's easier and cheaper to use Brussels via Eurostar. Air Taxes are cheaper too

Uncle Albert
19th January 2013, 23:07
Build Boris Island!

One day a 747 or similar will flop down on Hounslow, and the death toll will be a lot higher than 2!

I've only been to Hounslow once, but ...

Come friendly planes fall on Hounslow!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, 747 and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

etc. & apologies to JB

SantaClaus
20th January 2013, 00:03
Build Boris Island!

Hopefully last week's tragic helicopter crash will help people to wake up to the folly of having such a busy airport so close to as dense a population as London. One day a 747 or similar will flop down on Hounslow, and the death toll will be a lot higher than 2!

whilst I'm sorry for everyone caught up in the Heathrow farce, it has been nice and quiet for anyone living within 20 miles of the place (c:

Ahh, bliss! Long may it snow.

Robinho
20th January 2013, 00:17
Build Boris Island!

This is not based on statistical probability unfortunately.

Basically you talk a lot of tulip on the issue.

Sysman
20th January 2013, 00:33
Came back from the US last year, 2 hour turn around to get my connection "no probs" I thought, spent 3 hours in a snaking queue to get my bag searched multiple times.

That reminds me of one departure from Heathrow which was delayed. Needed a pee but due to construction works no bog available without going out and then through security and passport control again.

Bacchus
20th January 2013, 08:29
This is not based on statistical probability unfortunately.

Basically you talk a lot of tulip on the issue.

In June 1972 BEA flight 548 crash landed in a field near Staines shortly after take-off killing all 118 people on board. This was Britain's worst air disaster until a terrorist bomb knocked Pan Am flight 103 out of the sky over Lockerbie, killing 259 people on board, but only 11 on the ground as Lockerbie is a relatively sparsely populated area. In January 2008 BA flight 38 ("Speedbird 38") crashed short of the runway at Heathrow after ice crystals restricted the fuel supply.

It is a personal opinion, I am not a statistician by trade, but aircraft can and do go wrong. It is rare but they crash. If you couple this fact with (currently) around half a million flight movements in and out of Heathrow, it is not a case of "if" a flight crashes into a densely populated area, but "when"

Luckily we have an "idiot savant" in our midst to point out, with no substantiation whatsoever, that I'm wrong... oh, hang on, you're not a savant?

swamp
20th January 2013, 11:12
Heathrow is in a near-perfect location. It's a regional airport, a big city airport and a national hub. And it's conveniently located at the nexus of Britain's motorway network.

Boris Island, OTOH, would be stuck in the middle of nowhere. Nobody would be able to get there to fly unless they have their own boat or plane. It would be an expensive version of Montréal–Mirabel.

Robinho
20th January 2013, 11:16
In June 1972 BEA flight 548 crash landed in a field near Staines shortly after take-off killing all 118 people on board. This was Britain's worst air disaster until a terrorist bomb knocked Pan Am flight 103 out of the sky over Lockerbie, killing 259 people on board, but only 11 on the ground as Lockerbie is a relatively sparsely populated area. In January 2008 BA flight 38 ("Speedbird 38") crashed short of the runway at Heathrow after ice crystals restricted the fuel supply.

It is a personal opinion, I am not a statistician by trade, but aircraft can and do go wrong. It is rare but they crash. If you couple this fact with (currently) around half a million flight movements in and out of Heathrow, it is not a case of "if" a flight crashes into a densely populated area, but "when"

Luckily we have an "idiot savant" in our midst to point out, with no substantiation whatsoever, that I'm wrong... oh, hang on, you're not a savant?

I'm actually an amateur pilot.

As you have pointed out, nobody on the ground was killed in these incidents in 40 years.

Aircraft very rarely fall out of the sky suddenly without prior warning, particularly today, and if it was in trouble, it wouldn't be routed across central London, it'd probably fly into one of the other London airports.

Even if a plane did crash on approach, the amount of fatalities on the ground is unlikely to be more than 5% of the people on the plane.

There are plenty of approach paths across major cities around the world and whilst naturally it is more dangerous than flying across fields, there's statistically very little relevance.

Moscow Mule
20th January 2013, 11:34
I don't see any problem with expanding Gatwick to 4 runways, other than the locals.

swamp
20th January 2013, 11:55
I don't see any problem with expanding Gatwick to 4 runways, other than the locals.

Too far from London. And Crawley probably not up to the job of supplying the extra staff.

Robinho
20th January 2013, 12:26
Too far from London. And Crawley probably not up to the job of supplying the extra staff.

The Gatwick express can get you in quick enough.

Gruffalo
20th January 2013, 13:20

I was there in 2010 - absolutely shocking hotel, the lower rooms are stinking of damp, the windows don't open and it has the worst aircon system in the world.

A hot, damp miserable place.

AtW
20th January 2013, 13:22
I was there in 2010 - absolutely shocking hotel, the lower rooms are stinking of damp, the windows don't open and it has the worst aircon system in the world.

A hot, damp miserable place.

Better than sleeping rough in Hyde Park :tongue

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 16:26
Landed 40 minutes ago. Sitting on a plane after travelling 6000 miles with its engines turned off in a huge queue as they cannot quite workout how to get the last 800 yards into a bay. FFS

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 16:41
Landed 40 minutes ago. Sitting on a plane after travelling 6000 miles with its engines turned off in a huge queue as they cannot quite workout how to get the last 800 yards into a bay. FFS

Let me off! :mad

mudskipper
20th January 2013, 16:57
Let me off! :mad

Wait till you get to customs. They've got a nice surprise for you.

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 17:02
Wait till you get to customs. They've got a nice surprise for you.

Gangnam style???

Let me off this fooking plane!!!! :rant:

AtW
20th January 2013, 17:09

Well, that's the odd thing - just how the fook they manage to land airplanes with longer delays between them, yet it's a problem to disembark passengers?!?! Had this tulip on Friday - I mean WTF!!! IMHO Heathrow should be liable for all extra costs people incur when they miss their connections.

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 17:13
Well, that's the odd thing - just how the fook they manage to land airplanes with longer delays between them, yet it's a problem to disembark passengers?!?! Had this tulip on Friday - I mean WTF!!! IMHO Heathrow should be liable for all extra costs people incur when they miss their connections.

Weve been in the number two spot, then no one spot for 1.15 now. There are over 20 planes behind.

How can they not get the hang of disembarking???

d000hg
20th January 2013, 17:36
Let me off! :madAren't you supposed to keep your phone off until you disembark?

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 17:39
Aren't you supposed to keep your phone off until you disembark?

Probably. Aren't they supposed to disembark you after landing? Two hours is taking the piss.

AtW
20th January 2013, 17:42
Probably. Aren't they supposed to disembark you after landing? Two hours is taking the piss.

Are you using your mobile phone on the airplane during taxing? :eek:

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 17:47
Are you using your mobile phone on the airplane during taxing? :eek:

If taxing is the process of the plane moving on the ground then no, I'm using it while in the process of sitting on a plane that isn't moving and hasn't moved for some ******* time.

mudskipper
20th January 2013, 17:49
It can't move coz some muppet has left their phone on which is interfering with the equipment.

AtW
20th January 2013, 17:50
If taxing is the process of the plane moving on the ground then no, I'm using it while in the process of sitting on a plane that isn't moving and hasn't moved for some ******* time.

I just hope you are using seat belt, for your own sake.

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 17:52
Having taken two hours to get to a gate we've just taxied away from it as it wasnt actually ready and the captain is having to look elsewhere.

The captain has just informed us that Heathrow is now closed and no more planes are landing here which in theory should make it easier to get a gate.

It's not snowing but yet they've closed Heathrow Terminal 5. Jesus.

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 17:58
Captain has informed the passengers the reason we cannot disembark is because the ground crews have used a lot of de icer on a number of gates and because it hasn't snowed the deicer hasn't dissipated thus making the gates dangerous to disembark from.

You couldn't make it up.

MarillionFan
20th January 2013, 18:16
Oh FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AtW
20th January 2013, 18:16
the ground crews have used a lot of de icer on a number of gates

:rollin:

Are they the new generation flying gates to need deicer??!?! :laugh

Robinho
20th January 2013, 19:11
Serves you right for sitting in Economy.

You could have been milking the champers in first right now.

Sysman
20th January 2013, 20:01
It can't move coz some muppet has left their phone on which is interfering with the equipment.

:rollin:

Sysman
20th January 2013, 20:03

Speaking of which, are you allowed to use the bogs while the plane is stood standing?

d000hg
20th January 2013, 21:59
It sounds awful. Imagine having a passenger/customer like MF to deal with. Maybe he'll get het up and the crew will taser him.

AtW
20th January 2013, 22:52
Maybe he'll get het up and the crew will taser him.

They would not want to carry him...

A simple gag would do.

mudskipper
21st January 2013, 06:30
Is he still on the plane?

MarillionFan
21st January 2013, 08:37
Is he still on the plane?

Grrrrrrr.

eek
21st January 2013, 08:48
Grrrrrrr.

Note the lack of denial. However the usual approach is to wait for the last train to depart and then allow them off the plane.

BoredBloke
21st January 2013, 11:33
The Gatwick express can get you in quick enough.

Can it frig! Each time I've used it the journey has taken over the 30 mins they quote and today, because there was a little bit of snow kicking about, every train through Gatwick was very delayed. They put on an extra train (that nobody other than a handful of passengers used) that took over an hour to get from Gatwick, stopping twice on the way. The gatwick express should be done under some kind of advertising breach as its the least express type train I have ever used.

Robinho
21st January 2013, 11:37
Can it frig! Each time I've used it the journey has taken over the 30 mins they quote and today, because there was a little bit of snow kicking about, every train through Gatwick was very delayed. They put on an extra train (that nobody other than a handful of passengers used) that took over an hour to get from Gatwick, stopping twice on the way. The gatwick express should be done under some kind of advertising breach as its the least express type train I have ever used.

I get it every day and it's usually ok.

Point is the Heathrow Express takes 20? anyway so it's not much difference really, and Victoria is a better station than Paddington.

Also you can get the Thameslink for the City, takes about an hour, but right into the City.