• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone bought a new car paying cash lately?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone bought a new car paying cash lately?

I need a new car. Impending birth of new family member means my 2-seater won't do anymore, so looking at smallish 5-seaters, mostly the Kia Rio and the Ford Fiesta - nothing bigger cause our other car is an XC90 and the family only needs one tank.

I bought my last car 2 years ago as an ex-demonstrator. Good deal, good spec. Didn't haggle much then.

So on Saturday I went to Kia. Test drove the Rio - yeah, it would do. Discussing figures there's essentially no movement on the national offer price (rrp minus 1.4k). But, even "better" - he wants me to sign now but the 3-door Rio is no longer available in black (apparently being discontinued). So he wants me to buy in silver or blue. Uhm, no, if I'm buying a new car, I'm not going to buy it in a colour I don't like. Then he pushes the 5-door. Fair enough, 5-doors would be more convenient and black is available. But once again, no movement from the (more expensive) RRP minus the same national 1.4k-off offer. Oh, and that black 5-door would likely take 3 months to be delivered. I told him that that's just not good enough and left.

Then went to Ford to look at the Fiesta. Test drove it - yeah, like it marginally better than the Rio. When they ran me through the figures for the colours/spec I'd consider, not only was it 3k more than the Rio (ok, I guess you pay for the brand), but they would also not budge at all from the RRP. Then they started pushing finance deals. Uhm, hello? I'm not happy with your inflated prices, but that sure doesn't mean I can't afford it. Also, on finance I could get a (marginally) better deal. But, yeah, don't want finance. What makes them think I'd be any happier with the price on the basis of only paying 8k up front? You're still demanding over 15k for a not-at-all exciting small car! (automatic, since slightly more pricey than the normal offers).

Anyway, I didn't buy. I did ask both dealerships about ex-demos, but - surprise - none available.

Went home, checked autotrader, can get a 62-reg black auto Fiesta for under 10k with 2-5k miles on it.
    I guess that's what I'll do then.

So, any recent car-buying experiences? Anyone managed to negotiate much on a cash purchase? Car dealerships really that much keener on pushing finance than cash-buyers?

We bought a new Ford Kuga a few months ago - got a couple of national deals and pushed for more cash off, got £500 (wanted £2K) and a couple of freebies (scotch guard & gap insurance).

We were buying on finance, so that may have swung the deal a bit more.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I usually ask them what their preference would be in terms of making a deal, ie would they prefer finance, are they really interested in Part-Exchange etc. Most places would prefer a finance deal as they get commission. Depending on the interest rate I usually take them up on the finance. Then I can leave my money sat invested (hopefully) earning a higher rate of interest than the finance.

Comment

I bought a car with cash in October/November, no movement what so ever on the sticker price
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I bought my last one on my amex and cleared the bill at the end of the month. All these 1% cashbacks add up.

No movement on the price though.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

You guys are going to the wrong dealer. I just bought a new Ford Focus, got £2K off the list price and an additional £1.5K off the finance deposit.

Comment

Re: Anyone bought a new car paying cash lately?

The ford fiesta is literally brand new with new low emission engines.

As for paying cash I walked away from a purchase last week due to finance being insisted on. The companies adverts are now being investigated by Vauxhall due to not being legal.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Glad to hear it's not just me, then!

Yeah, they were saying they could negotiate on the part exchange. Problem is, I can quite easily sell my old one for about 6k privately, while their part-exchange offer started at 3900, so I don't think I'll get anything reasonable in part-exchange (other than convenience).

Originally posted by eek View Post
                The ford fiesta is literally brand new with new low emission engines.
                Yeah, I'm not so fussed about getting the brand new version. A 62 or 12-reg of the last model will do, so it's not enough of an incentive for me. Especially cause for automatic engine size starts at 1.6l now, and the previous spec (1.4) tends to be cheaper to insure.
                Last edited by formant; 21 January 2013, 09:57.

Comment

Helped Pater get his 4x4 a few weeks ago.
                  He plumped for a Hyundai ix-35 top of the range model (he likes his gizmos), purely because there was a showroom near where he lives.
                  Got an ex-demo with 90 miles on it for £4.5K off RRP when new, which I reckon is a good deal.

PS I wanted him to get a Subaru, but TBH I'm impressed with the car - them Koreans make a good car nowadays.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

You need to go to a car broker. The top two IMHO are carfile and drivethedeal. On most cars they should significantly beat what you can negotiate as they get fleet prices. All cars are main dealer sourced and delivered to your door.

http://www.carfile.net/specialsenq.php?vid=131
                    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 21 January 2013, 11:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X