• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Irate Public sector client's manager sends e-mail rejecting Substitutions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irate Public sector client's manager sends e-mail rejecting Substitutions

I currently supply programming services to Government department, and contain a clause for Substitution in my contract.

A colleague of mine returned to India over the Christmas period and successfully hired and deployed a Stubstitute to meet the obligations of his company during the period. The worker was hired on a casual per hour basis and was successfully cleared to work on the site.

My colleague duely returned to work in the first week in January.

We have received word this morning that a manager several layers above us has thrown his toys about the Substitute ever having been allowed to take the place of my colleague, who is currently jumping up and down in a meeting room pointing at his contract and his right to supply a substitute.

All other contractors in the team (myself included) have today received an e-mail from said manager, stating that "despite what may be written into your contracts the company expects YOU to supply the services as per your contracts despite the presence of any substitution clause"
    and that

"any requests/instructions that a substitute will be provided for any period of time will be flatly rejected by the company".

This leaves myself and my fellow contractor colleagues nervous that the clause for substitution is a sham clause that the end client clearly has no further intention to honour.

I say further, because my colleague's substitution clause was undoubtably honoured over the Xmas 2012 period.

In the opnion of the forum, does this mail shot constitute a change to my contract which I cannot argue against?

Given that March is looming, this is the public sector and that my contract expires at the end of February I anticipate that I and many other contractors shall be fleeing the public sector.

Get out ASAP.

Never mind what you contract states you now have proof that your working conditions do not support substitution - HMRC will tear your heart and and stand there baying to the moon should you ever get investigated.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

This isn't expert advice, but what with the IR35 issues already looming in the contract sector if were you I would quietly press the 'Delete' button on that mail and then do a runner come March...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Client cannot change the terms of a legally binding contract with an email, unless there is a provision in the original contract saying they can, if so a new contract would need to be proceeded and signed by both parties, if you don't sign it you are out of the door.

Just because the ability to substitute is written into a contract, it doesn't mean that client co is obliged to accept the substitute no matter how suitable they may, we all know HR departments can find way's of rejecting a perfect candidate.

Long story short it will be messy.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Get out ASAP.

Never mind what you contract states you now have proof that your working conditions do not support substitution - HMRC will tear your heart and and stand there baying to the moon should you ever get investigated.
          PS. But if they do manage to pull their thumbs out of their arses and send you a changed contract before March - WMUNS.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Work inside IR35 for now and look for a new contract
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

They aren't formally working within it yet Lisa. If they were then I would walk out the door today.

Comment

There was a substitute so it wasn´t a sham clause, it was perfectly legitimate. Looks like it would be a good idea though to move on in March.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 January 2013, 10:41.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Client cannot change the terms of a legally binding contract with an email, unless there is a provision in the original contract saying they can, if so a new contract would need to be proceeded and signed by both parties, if you don't sign it you are out of the door.

Just because the ability to substitute is written into a contract, it doesn't mean that client co is obliged to accept the substitute no matter how suitable they may, we all know HR departments can find way's of rejecting a perfect candidate.

Long story short it will be messy.
                  Yes. The email doesn't change the contract, but is simply warning you any requests to substitute will be rejected. Unless your contract says you are allowed to choose a replacement and the client must accept them, which seems very unlikely.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Surely what this means is that the contract does not match the actual working practices and will therefore be ignored by HMRC?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X