• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounting reference date + corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting reference date + corporation tax

Hi all.....

I Incorporated on 16 Dec 2011 and started trading on the first of Jan 2012 so I've just done a year. I changed my Accounting reference date to the 31/3 based on advice I'd seen around the web. I was expecting to have to file accounts from 1/1/2012 - 31/3/20113.

However, I've just received a "Notice to deliver a Company Tax Return" from HMRC for 1/1/2012 - 31/12/2012. Does this mean that HMRC are just out of sync with Companies House and I should have updated HMRC at the same time? And, if so, is it recoverable?

I'm hoping I can pay corporation tax for the full 15 months in March in sync with my personal tax stuff.

Best regards and thanks in advance

Kodo

I extended mine from October to April and did an 18 month stint but that was organised by my accountant. Speak to yours and let him deal with it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

CT reference periods can't extend for more than 12 months.

Make your accounts up to 31/3, and file two CT returns, 12 months and 3 months.

Comment

Company accounts run for the company's financial year, in your case, the same as a calendar year.

Personal tax year runs 6th April - 5th April.

They aren't the same thing.

When you said mid December incorporation I expected a Jan start.

My incorporation was mid May and my company fiscal year starts 1st June.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by kodo View Post
          Hi all.....

I Incorporated on 16 Dec 2011 and started trading on the first of Jan 2012 so I've just done a year. I changed my Accounting reference date to the 31/3 based on advice I'd seen around the web. I was expecting to have to file accounts from 1/1/2012 - 31/3/20113.

However, I've just received a "Notice to deliver a Company Tax Return" from HMRC for 1/1/2012 - 31/12/2012. Does this mean that HMRC are just out of sync with Companies House and I should have updated HMRC at the same time? And, if so, is it recoverable?

I'm hoping I can pay corporation tax for the full 15 months in March in sync with my personal tax stuff.

Best regards and thanks in advance

Kodo
          Hi Kodo,

As Jessica says, you will be required to submit two CT600 returns.

As the returns cannot exceed 365 days (366 days where there is a leap year) you will need to do two returns, one for the period already requested by HMRC & another for the 01/01/13 - 31/03/13.

There is no need to notify HMRC of your intentions at this stage though you can if you wish to. By submitting the CT600 forms for the above periods their records will automatically be updated.

Note that extending the yearend does not change the first date in which a payment is due. The payments will be due 9 months and one day from each CT600 period end, therefore 1st October 2013 and 1st January 2014 in your case.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Thanks all

Sorry to take so long to thank you for your replies (minor hospital stay)

I rang the HMRC and the chap answering told me I should have told HMRC when I changed the ref date with Companies House. He then said he would need to pass it on to "get it sorted". I've a sneaky suspicion you chaps/chapesses know more than he does and I will need to file the two CT returns as you say.

Thanks again for your help

Kodo

Comment

Working...
            X