• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registered Office at Accountant's Address?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered Office at Accountant's Address?

Hi,

Quick question. My new accountant offers me to have my registered address at their address free of charge. Currently I'm using Mailboxes etc for this. They say that the benefit is that they would receive all the HMRC letters and I don't have to copy and mail them. However, what if I get some letters that are important for me to read? Even "sometimes" marketing letters are good to have as they give me an idea for something or they offer something good (rarely but sometimes).

Feels like outsourcing my control and power to them. That's my gut feeling.

What's your take on this?

As a rough estimate we would say about 90% of the companies we come across have the registered office at the accountants address. It is pretty standard.

Generally they will forward on anything relevant and dispose of the rest, plus they should be pretty adept at spotting the various Ltd company scams that often do the rounds.

You could always ask them to forward on any offers you may receive?
    The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

The benefit is that it keeps your own address private, especially if you use them as your Service Address too, as anyone searching for your company would only find your accountant's details. Plus it saves you having to forward anything important to the accountants (sometimes client's forget to forward important documents, which can lead to delays in getting things done).

The registered office should make no difference to HMRC post as a copy should be sent to the trading address too, which should remain your home address. You can also register an account at HMRC Online to ensure you have access to certain details in relation to CT, PAYE, VAT and Personal Tax.

The post we get for clients tends to be Companies House reminders, which we're aware of in advance anyway, and the odd bit of junk mail. Just let the accountants know that you want all post, no matter what it is, to be scanned and emailed to you. You can then keep an eye on it.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

No right or wrong answer here, but my personal opinion is that it's a bad idea to use your accountant's address as registered office address.

1) if you change accountant (especially if after a disagreement) you may find the accountant isn't quick to forward mail, and if you don't have the authentication code it can be hard to move your registered office address.

2) your accountant should be on top of all deadlines etc anyway, but legally it's your responsibility as director to ensure they're met. If everything goes to the accountant and they're a bit poor, things can go unfiled with penalties being incurred which you're blissfully unaware of until it's too late.

Of course neither of the above should happen if your accountant is decent and good...but sadly that's not always the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          No right or wrong answer here, but my personal opinion is that it's a bad idea to use your accountant's address as registered office address.

1) if you change accountant (especially if after a disagreement) you may find the accountant isn't quick to forward mail, and if you don't have the authentication code it can be hard to move your registered office address.

2) your accountant should be on top of all deadlines etc anyway, but legally it's your responsibility as director to ensure they're met. If everything goes to the accountant and they're a bit poor, things can go unfiled with penalties being incurred which you're blissfully unaware of until it's too late.

Of course neither of the above should happen if your accountant is decent and good...but sadly that's not always the case.
          Good points!

1. I think I would then change the registered address to the new accountant's address.
          2. They said they will forward all HMRC and Companies House mails to me.

Comment

Why are marketing companies going to send mail to your registered address? When you sign up to stuff, use your home address since that is you delivery address.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Gulliver View Post
              Good points!

1. I think I would then change the registered address to the new accountant's address.
              2. They said they will forward all HMRC and Companies House mails to me.
              Ok, but 1) ensure you get and keep the authentication code. We've had cases where clients sign up to PROOF (meaning things can only be done online), then lose access to their registered office address (admittedly due to carelessness/bad planning). You've then got to go through the Companies House anti fraud team to do anything.
              2) Yes, and again assuming they're decent they will...but if they don't, then what?

I suppose I see it as a back up for the client, you're getting independent information from someone other than the account which (to some extent) is checking up on what your accountant is doing. The only annoying thing about this is when the authorities get heavy very early (eg the letter when your annual return is due is pretty aggressive, and often arrives a few days before you physically are able to file it!).

Comment

A disadvantage that I encoutered last week was that they received a CT refund cheque from HMRC in October and I recieved it last week!!!!
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  A disadvantage that I encountered last week was that they received a CT refund cheque from HMRC in October and I recieved it last week!!!!
                  In fairness HMRC don't always send out post straight away, they print it then sit on it until the post goblin sends it for them. I got a letter from them yesterday in relation to an investigation that was dated December and demanded a response by 5th January.....
                  ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
                  X