• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fool's mission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fool's mission

Currently working on a project where the client has asked me to lend hand in documenting some business processes. All fine.

One small problem. There aren't any. They have a bunch of databases all wired together with elastic bands and bubble gum, but there isn't any discernable business processes. Or rather, the process is I add a record, or I update a record.

There are business processes that happen outside of the system of course, but he isn't interested in that. All these external business processes lead to one conclusion, you either add a record or update a record. Then a pinball machine of database updates and messages cascade round the various systems until they reach the ERP, where yet again more business processes happen.

So really what we have here is a data flow. But owing to legal reasons I cannot document this. So he keeps asking me to document the business processes. But there aren't any. Rinse and repeat.

Just had a chase from him, when can he expect the finished Business processes document.

Not sure if he's being cute or not but I'm certainly running out of patience.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Suity, does it ever go well?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Suity, does it ever go well?
      Cheap shot, well done. Well put it this way I've been with ClientCo since May and am extremely well thought of and have a good reputation for delivering under pressure.

I'm just working with a bloke who seems away with the fairies.

Comment

Carry on invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          So really what we have here is a data flow. But owing to legal reasons I cannot document this. So he keeps asking me to document the business processes. But there aren't any. Rinse and repeat.
          What are the legal issues of telling the client about their own data?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Carry on invoicing.
            Yep. This guy already sat on one timesheet because he could. The working relationship it tenuous at best. I predict at the end of this month we will have a similar argument because I did not deliver his nonsense.

Comment

How can there be no business processes? They may not be formal, but they must be there. User doesn't simply enter record into the system because they feel like it.

so.

What events trigger a record being created?

What does that then cause to happen? How is that controlled? (this could be 'Joan remembers she needs to chase in two days')

What events trigger a record being updated? etc.

Give us a clue - what sort of system is it?

Comment

And you are the right fool for the job!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Mummy my bed is wet.....
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    And you are the right fool for the job!

tool

Comment

Working...
                    X