• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking busy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking busy

My current fave is to get a terminal session with lots of scrolling output like you see in films.

How do you do it?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    My current fave is to get a terminal session with lots of scrolling output like you see in films.

How do you do it?
    Three terminal sessions using two different command line tools. Console's quite handy for that. Always have a Notepad++ editor or ultra-edit open.

If you find a really interesting story on the web, just copy and paste it into a word doc and read it there, or of course into notepad++.

And never have less than two empty coffee cups next to you.

You could download Selenium and record some happy flow tests in a browser then let them run continually, just to exaggerate how busy you are.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      while [ 1 ]
      do
             cat dummyLogFile.txt
             sleep 5
      done
      put whatever you want into dummyLogFile.txt and away you go.

Comment

How do you do it?
        tail -f a_log_where_lots_happens (i.e. Websphere or ITM)
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

How do you do it?
          I mean how do you like to keep busy btw, I'm not asking for shell scripting tips.

I wrote a shell once don't you know.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

How do you do it?
            By actually doing some work. Try it sometime.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              By actually doing some work. Try it sometime.
              I save that for the 30 minutes of quiet in the morning before the phone jockey gobtulipe blatheronerus whinging permies get in. After that my brainwaves get disrupted so I just drink tea and wait till home time.

Comment

I mean how do you like to keep busy btw, I'm not asking for shell scripting tips.
                This is what comes of badly defined requirements. Now if you had created a proper UML model with use cases, test descriptions etc, you'd have got the exact answer that you want *and* be able to invoice for a few days work.

My *work* currently consists of watching scrolling grey lines to make sure that the update rate is correct and that the updates are happening.

So basically, I'm staring at a screen with 45 second intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  tail -f a_log_where_lots_happens (i.e. Websphere or ITM)
                  WHS

I was going to suggest the exact same thing, tail a log file and leave it going, lots of important looking stuff scrolling past. They'd be mad to let you go

Comment

I wrote a shell once don't you know.
                    Oh

Comment

Working...
                    X