• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

corporate culture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corporate culture

Well havign been a permie for number of years with a bit of contracting took the leap last year into contracting properly. On my second one now and have landed in a very heavy corporate culture place. At end of my first week
    team leader took me to one side and said someone had complained to a senior manager that i was using my phone at my desk and this was causing a lot of concern. To be fair, the team leader seemed a bit embarassed. Which is understandable as it doesnt stop any of the permies doing it!. Oh well their rules i guess and so will go along with it, just not used to be seen with such an air of suspicion. Last place was a corporate but they were pretty laid back about things and seemed to embrace contractors. Now i feel a bit self conscious about getting a drink or going to the bog lol, someone might complain. Anyone experience this kind of thing ? i also noticed they took an age signing my time sheet last week, i work on an hour rate and just billed for my 36 hours even though i did work 2 hours late one night to show some willing as some work needed finishing. I guess we live and learn about the establishments we go to work at the more experience we get and maybe choose them a bit more carefully, still only 5 months to go lol

Originally posted by veroli View Post
    Well havign been a permie for number of years with a bit of contracting took the leap last year into contracting properly. On my second one now and have landed in a very heavy corporate culture place. At end of my first week
    team leader took me to one side and said someone had complained to a senior manager that i was using my phone at my desk and this was causing a lot of concern. To be fair, the team leader seemed a bit embarassed. Which is understandable as it doesnt stop any of the permies doing it!. Oh well their rules i guess and so will go along with it, just not used to be seen with such an air of suspicion. Last place was a corporate but they were pretty laid back about things and seemed to embrace contractors. Now i feel a bit self conscious about getting a drink or going to the bog lol, someone might complain. Anyone experience this kind of thing ? i also noticed they took an age signing my time sheet last week, i work on an hour rate and just billed for my 36 hours even though i did work 2 hours late one night to show some willing as some work needed finishing. I guess we live and learn about the establishments we go to work at the more experience we get and maybe choose them a bit more carefully, still only 5 months to go lol
    Never had a complaint, but I ALWAYS walk away from the desk if the call is anything other than client business. Permies do get irritated when they hear (what they perceive to be) an over paid contractor talking to agents about gigs and rates.

If you've been picked up on something just make sure you don't do it again, regardless of whether its fair or not. Contractors ARE different to permies so be content to be treated differently and make sure you do the job better than the permies.
    Last edited by Project Monkey; 23 January 2013, 14:34.

Comment

Probably depends what area you work in, at ClientCo it is not permitted to use your phone on trading floors, although its fine in the tech areas.

I suppose it stops/slows the flow of sensitive information a little.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        Probably depends what area you work in, at ClientCo it is not permitted to use your phone on trading floors, although its fine in the tech areas.

I suppose it stops/slows the flow of sensitive information a little.
        Also trading calls have to be recorded. In the bad old days, the traders would do grey deal on mobiles to evade the recordings.

Comment

You may find some resentment - permies knowing that contractors earn more but do not understand the contracting business.

Just take calls away from your desk, make sure that your phone is on silent or let it go to answerphone and return calls later.

Comment

Originally posted by veroli View Post
            this looks familiar -I may have read some of your documentation
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

*shrug* just do what you are told and keep invoicing.

If you are told you have to do something that you do not want to do either swallow it or walk.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

It would be physically impossible to sit all day at your desk unless you pee into a bucket from time to time so I wouldn´t necessarily feel guilty about pottering off for a cup of coffee or going to the toilet. I think your colleagues might get nervous if they didn´t see you disappear from time to time.

With mobile phones people do get a bit irritated if you have private conversations so always best to go away from the desk to make them.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Make sure you end the call with "£400 quid a day, what do i sound like, a ****ing permie?"

Comment

Follow the rules going forward - especially if you are new, keep your head down and fit in.

I would try and find the source of the complaint, their agenda and if it may be an ongoing concern.

Where applicable I would make my deliverables of a higher quality than theirs and try and get well ahead of your deadlines - ie shut the noise down at source.

I have done that here - nasty folks here, I smashed it out the park and saw their faces - priceless

Comment

Working...
                    X