• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS Recommendations please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS Recommendations please

I have a Dlink Sharecentre DNS320 NAS but not being overly technical (and being unable to find anything usefull via google) I'm looking for recommendations for a NAS with a decent set of instructions!

What I want to do with it:
    • Backup various desktops / laptops (ideally via a scheduled backup)
    • Configure / assign / restrict users to a directory tree (I don't want the kids seeing myco's bank statements / contracts etc)
    • Able to get to it from a browser when I'm not at home (via logon)
    • Media player so I can hook it up to the Sky box / play movies / music etc via TV

If it can do it, I'd also like it to be able to host myco's website

The important thing is it needs to be easy to setup... I've spent evenings swearing at the Dlink and I'm sure it can do all I want, but I can't get it to work properly...

Thanks in advance
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

I have a synology ds412+ NAS server and use it for everything you say and have been very happy with it with no issues, read/write speed is good, it happily streams hd movies while backing up and other tasks. The User Interface is via the web and very straight forward. As well as using it as a NAS server and backup server i also use it as an FTP server, iTunes media server, and mail server. It also has apps to run as a web server and video surveillance server but I haven't tested these options as yet.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I found with a lot of the NAS's the GUI that is supposed to make things easier to configure, make it harder IMHO.

In the end I have settled on a HP MicroServer running Ubuntu, then for filesharing = SAMBA, media share = minidnla, getting at from outside = ssh tunneling.

If you are more comfortable with a GUI, install Windows Server...
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

nas forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pc+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far chaps... and to NLUK who remains as predictable as ever, however the world moves on and the latest results of a search were more than 6 months old which is about a generation in IT terms...
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

I didn't think we'd had a NAS thread for a while - good work for starting one...

I've heard good things about Synology, and am considering a purchase, but not sure which model to go for.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Another happy synology customer here. If you're not sure which model to go for, bear in mind that they all use the same interface, so the apps are the same. Depends on your appetite for risk (raid capabilities) and storage requirements. I went for the 411+2 - 4 x 3Tb disks in raid 5 config. Works well.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

I have a QNAP 410 TS which does everything that you mention.

Configured Raid 5 with 4 1Tb drives.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I have a ReadyNAS NV+. The IO speed is infuriatingly slow, but it is a few years old now.

I wouldn't get one now...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I really would go for an HP microserver with ubuntu or windows home server (even though that is approaching end of live).

Granted its not as immediately practical until you install an operating system but once thats installed it will be a lot more flexible.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X