• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations for a Dual Nic micro/mini server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for a Dual Nic micro/mini server

Can anybody recommend a decent box with dual NICs. Needs to be able to run debian.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

HP Microsoerver

Any other performance requirements?
    Generally if the motherboards doesn't already have two NICs, just buy another PCI/E one, alternatively if you don't need 1GBps full-duplex you can trunk, do VLANs or something similar - again what's your use case, what are your requirements and budget?

Comment

I just want to build a box to run NTOP. it will monitor the network traffic from the inside of the firewall to the rest of the network. I have mirrored ports set up and a port to monitor that on the switch. Just need a small box to do the rest of it. I'll have a look and see what I can find.
      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

HP N40L with a Dual NIC

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          HP N40L with a Dual NIC
          If you are careful with the choice of RAM you can apparently lift these to 16GB rather than the official limit of 8GB.

HP Proliant MicroServer–Running 16GB Memory

Given the caveats I probably wouldn't want to risk this on a production server, but for a lab environment I don't see why not.

I have heard rumours of a new model... Here it is, and according to the detailed specs the processor is now an AMD Turion™ II Neo N54L (2.2GHz)
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

I have heard rumours of a new model... Here it is, and according to the detailed specs the processor is now an AMD Turion™ II Neo N54L (2.2GHz)
            Aaargh, I'll be tempted to upgrade now even though the trusty N40L that runs most of MyCo is no slouch as a Win 2K8 combined file/sql/TFS source control server even with its little 1.50 GHz Neo II. Which is strange as looking at it specs you'd assume it'd run like a dog, but no, its great.

I hope they introduce the cashback offer for the new model that kept cropping up for the N40L. If so, I'll buy one just cos I can

Comment

Working...
            X