• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Graduate developers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graduate developers

At my current clientco, there are a bunch of graduate developers who are causing my a lot of headaches. They are smart guys (and a girl) but do not have a clue how to design components. Some of the howlers i have seen today pushed me over the edge and i pulled the team-leader up on it.

He is a nice guy and a great man-manager but totally inept when it comes to filling the role of lead-architect (which he has nicely palmed off on me for no more $$$). We had a team meeting about my concerns and one of the graduates explained that they had only been taught how to program at uni, and not how to design the system and asked for recommendations of reading material, at which point i was a bit stumped.

I read code compete, Go4 when i was a graduate, but also had a superb senior dev who pulled me up on every mistake i made. Unfortunately i can't see this guy doing that, and many of these graduates are getting off to the wrong start. Can anyone recommend any reading or online courses on how to structure code and components?

Who hires graduates without expecting to mentor them? Crazy!

I think Code complete and Go4 are both relevant. There are a few here you could look at: Book Reviews - Joel on Software

This is the suggested reading list for CS at Durham:
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.scienc...ers/rlists/cs/

However I think you need someone to guide them. Or get them to talk to each other about what they do.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Martin Fowler "patterns of enterprise application architecture" is worth a read as well.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I told them to go and understand the SOLID principle and ensure every class they right conforms to it. Also suggested reading some of the above examples. Thank you.

Comment

+1 for Joel.

Design Patterns - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-patte.../dp/0201633612

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
            Can anyone recommend any reading or online courses on how to structure code and components?
            For reading, start with these (in no particular order):

The Mythical Man Month - Fred Brooks
            Clean Code - Robert Martin
            Code Complete 2nd Edition - Steve McConnell
            The Pragmatic Programmer - Andrew Hunt & Dave Thomas
            Peopleware - Tom DeMarco & Tim Lister
            Patterns Of Enterprise Application Architecture - Martin Fowler
            Design patterns: Elements of reusable object-oriented software - Erich Gamma et al (the Gang Of Four)
            Growing Object-Oriented Software Guided By Tests - Steve Freeman & Nat Pryce

And if you're working with any "legacy" code (i.e. existing code that may be badly designed and probably has little or no unit tests):

Working Effectively With Legacy Code - Michael Feathers
            Refactoring: Improving the design of existing code - Martin Fowler, Kent Beck et al.

There are many other great books out there, but if they can get through this lot and understand the content within, they'll be well on their way.

Comment

Working...
            X