• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what can i do against dodgy landlord

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what can i do against dodgy landlord

Hi

my ex landlord refused to return my deposit.... i have a long battle going thru ...

i reported him to councuil officers because i believe he didnt pay tax for duration of my stay ( i was a lodger at the time )
    what else i can do ?

fyi: he owns 2 properties, and works from home often,

Originally posted by contractor0118 View Post
    Hi

my ex landlord refused to return my deposit.... i have a long battle going thru ...

i reported him to councuil officers because i believe he didnt pay tax for duration of my stay ( i was a lodger at the time )
    what else i can do ?

fyi: he owns 2 properties, and works from home often,
    If he is a dodgy landlord I doubt he would have used the deposit protection scheme, so try the small claims court which he will fail to turn upto because it will show all the things he has done wrong and you will be awarded a judgement in absentia
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      If he is a dodgy landlord I doubt he would have used the deposit protection scheme, so try the small claims court which he will fail to turn upto because it will show all the things he has done wrong and you will be awarded a judgement in absentia
      No deposit scheme protection is required if the landlord also lives in the property.

Council won't do anything but HMRC might however the rent a room scheme allows you £3000 or so tax free.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        thats what i have done and court hearing is due in cpuple of month, i was a lodger and apparently law doesnt require landlords to register lodgers deposit, it only aplies to tenants deposit.
        thank you

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          No deposit scheme protection is required if the landlord also lives in the property.

Council won't do anything but HMRC might however the rent a room scheme allows you £3000 or so tax free.
          can i ask hmrc to check on him ? do you know the process?
          thank you

Comment

i have searched his name on google and apparently he has signed up his own limited company on his name ( since i moved out thu ) and registered to the same address...
            he also mentioend he has another house elsewhere,

Comment

Originally posted by contractor0118 View Post
              can i ask hmrc to check on him ? do you know the process?
              thank you
              Yes. You phone up with a handkerchief over the phone from a public telephone box. You then mumble something about unpaid taxes, Operation Yewtree, guns, Al Qaeda & children at risk.

hth

MF
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Tell HMRC he's a contractor using an offshore scheme.....

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Yes. You phone up with a handkerchief over the phone from a public telephone box. You then mumble something about unpaid taxes, Operation Yewtree, guns, Al Qaeda & children at risk.

hth

MF
                  just to add to the list, children & women at risk lol

Comment

If he's renting you a room in his house, he's unlikely to have to pay tax on that - the threshold is £4,250.

Comment

Working...
                    X