• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do I stop the spending - Renovating new house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stop the spending - Renovating new house

Has anybody every got themselves into a spiral of insanity after starting to renovate a new house?

I have spent 3 x what I initially budgeted for and it just never seems to end. Everything is so bloody expensive as well!

I have not been on CUK much these days cause I am spending every free minute doing painting, sanding etc. to reduce costs.

It starts off with knocking down a wall and ends up re-plastering the whole house, new doors, new handles, new everything. Buying a house is so much more costly than what I had bargained for!!!

Welcome to the real world..... Now it is time to grow some and deal with it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't leave the wife in charge of the budget (I speak from experience)
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Welcome to the real world..... Now it is time to grow some and deal with it.
        Come on NLUK. I was expecting at the very least, a link to Sarah Beeny's newbie guide.....
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Come on NLUK. I was expecting at the very least, a link to Sarah Beeny's newbie guide.....
          I was looking for the guide where first time buyer lose sight of reality, spend all their money on the house and then something changes which means they can't make ends meet and have to sell it and downsize because of their poor budgeting and future proofing. It is a common failing that puts families back decades. I know two people in exactly the same situation and their advice would be to set your sights lower, you have the rest of your life. You chose to enjoy it in a great house which took awhile to do or lose it all and look back with regret. I can see which of these two the OP will be doing.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I was looking for the guide where first time buyer lose sight of reality, spend all their money on the house and then something changes which means they can't make ends meet and have to sell it and downsize because of their poor budgeting and future proofing. It is a common failing that puts families back decades. I know two people in exactly the same situation and their advice would be to set your sights lower, you have the rest of your life. You chose to enjoy it in a great house which took awhile to do or lose it all and look back with regret. I can see which of these two the OP will be doing.
            Yeah yeah, agree with all that stuff. That Sarah Beeny has some pair of jugs though !!
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Has anybody every got themselves into a spiral of insanity after starting to renovate a new house?

I have spent 3 x what I initially budgeted for and it just never seems to end. Everything is so bloody expensive as well!

I have not been on CUK much these days cause I am spending every free minute doing painting, sanding etc. to reduce costs.

It starts off with knocking down a wall and ends up re-plastering the whole house, new doors, new handles, new everything. Buying a house is so much more costly than what I had bargained for!!!
              Houses can easily eat up all the cash/credit you have and then some. Does everything have to be new? Have you done any bargaining? Tried reclamation yards? Freecycle, ebay?

I'm such a tight git I love haggling and love a bargain (thankfully the wife is the same) and would rather go without until I find the right deal.

On the flip side, fair play for doing stuff yourself, I fooking HATE DIY so I'll always get a bloke in to do it (after some movement on price!)

Good luck, it takes a while to bond with your bricks.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Those ready to move into houses seem cheap in comparison now, dont they?

Comment

Just been through this over the last few years. The only way you learn is by setting your quality limit (ie solid oak kitchens etc) then costing each job to 10% before you start.

What I will say is that there is far too much margin in bathrooms and kitchens. So look on line and look for the trade suppliers try not to sound like a newby and they will sell to you at trade prices.

Never let a workman price a job for you. But always make sure you pay them well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                    Don't leave the wife in charge of the budget (I speak from experience)
                    And make sure that you speak to the builders/plasterers etc., not the missus (it sounds like she believed the sharp intakes of breath...)
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X