• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yay - Africa it is.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay - Africa it is.

Mrs EO has agreed to forgo Oz this year, so we are off to Southern Africa for a month in September.

So now I need advice, hints and tips for a 3-6k road trip around that part of the world.

what countries are safe for a start.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

whilst I think that is a great idea my view is that too many countries in africa can be classed as unsafe...

so unless you get a proper guide and tour well it has been nice knowing you!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      whilst I think that is a great idea my view is that too many countries in africa can be classed as unsafe...

so unless you get a proper guide and tour well it has been nice knowing you!

umbongo

it's a big place. it cant all be covered with bandits, terrorists, malaria, wild predators and crocodiles

can it ?
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Get a will drawn up.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          umbongo

it's a big place. it cant all be covered with bandits, terrorists, malaria, wild predators and crocodiles

can it ?
          Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Malawi are all pretty safe destinations. Obviously there's petty crime in urban areas, but not really more than London or Liverpool, try to avoid the slums and get local advice from your hotel manager/owner. Most good hotels have trusted taxi firms working with them. Uganda is improving but stay out of the forests near the Congo border and if you are gay or have gays in your party, don't show it. Ethiopia's worthwhile and fascinating, and fairly safe as lond as you follow local advice. Zambia's pretty OK, Kenya is great but the cities are dangerous. As for West Africa, the Gambia is pretty good, Ghana is pretty good, southern Nigeria is bad but improving but the north is risky due to Boko Haram (although 99% of the locals are very friendly and safe, the 1% are very dangerous).

Avoid;
          Sudan, Somalia, Mali, obviously, and Dem Republic of Congo (although I hear Kinshasa has some good nightlife especially if you like jazz, but things are unstable there).

Zimbabwe might be OK again in a couple of years.
          Last edited by Mich the Tester; 24 January 2013, 14:46.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The people who live there are desperate to get out (bit like the UK really) so why on earth would someone want to go there, and on holiday no less. lol.

3rd world slum YAY! lol

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              The people who live there are desperate to get out (bit like the UK really) so why on earth would someone want to go there, and on holiday no less. lol.

3rd world slum YAY! lol

As I thought, you have very little knowledge of Africa. Gladly, EO is planning to go and find out himself, and I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                As I thought, you have very little knowledge of Africa. Gladly, EO is planning to go and find out himself, and I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
                I think you should go with him, kill two birds with one botched kidnap attempt.

Also, the fact that he is asking which parts are safe tells me all I need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Malawi are all pretty safe destinations. Obviously there's petty crime in urban areas, but not really more than London or Liverpool,
                  Hmmmm American centric but...

CRIME: Crime is a serious concern in Namibia, but visitors who employ common-sense preventive measures normally enjoy an incident-free stay. Incidents of violent crime directed specifically against U.S. citizens or other foreigners are rare, but the number of overall incidents continues to increase. The most common crimes are property-motivated crimes of opportunity, including pick-pocketing, purse snatching, vehicle theft, and vehicle break-ins. Such crimes most commonly occur in the central business districts of cities, or other areas frequently visited by foreign tourist This sounds do-able
                  CRIME: Crime is a serious concern in Botswana. Visitors must be vigilant and take common-sense security precautions. Petty street crime and crimes of opportunity, primarily the theft of money and personal property, are not uncommon. Home invasions, “smash and grabs” from vehicles, and cell phone thefts, often at knife point, are routinely reported to the police. Hotels and lodges are not immune from criminal activity, and visitors should remain alert and take reasonable precautions in safeguarding personal property (particularly money and electronic equipment). Visitors are urged to exercise extreme caution near the Gaborone Dam and Kgale Hill in Gaborone due to the high number of reported criminal incidents. Pass
                  Crime is a serious problem in Tanzania, and visitors should be alert and cautious. Street crime in Dar es Salaam is common and includes mugging, vehicle theft, "smash and grab" attacks on vehicles, armed robbery, and burglary. Thieves and pickpockets on buses and trains steal from inattentive passengers. Pass
                  CRIME: Even though Malawi is known as "the Warm Heart of Africa," crime is common. Most crimes against Americans involve property. Residential break-ins are prevalent throughout Malawi and perpetrators of these crimes are usually well-armed and may resort to violence with little provocation. Petty street crime (robbery and pick-pocketing) is common, and break-ins have also occurred in hotels/lodges throughout the country. This sounds do-able at risk
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Ethiopia

CRIME: U.S. citizens are strongly advised to review their personal safety and security posture, to remain vigilant and to be cautious when frequenting prominent public places and landmarks. Varying your travel times and routes is advised. Pick-pocketing, “snatch and run” thefts, including from occupied vehicles and other petty crimes are common in Addis Ababa. These are generally crimes of opportunity rather than planned attacks. Beginning in 2011, purse snatchings and harassment by gangs of youths in the Bole area of Addis Ababa have increased. These incidents have occurred in both the daytime and nighttime. There were also beatings and stabbings of expats in the area. The number of residential burglaries has also increased. Travelers should exercise caution in crowded areas, and especially the Mercato in Addis Ababa, a large open-air market. You should limit the amount of cash you carry and leave valuables, such as passports, jewelry, and airline tickets in a hotel safe or other secure place. You should keep wallets and other valuables where they will be less susceptible to pickpockets. If you have a cellular phone, carry it with you.

You should be cautious at all times when traveling on roads in Ethiopia. Highway robbery by armed bandits in some border areas has been reported. Some of these incidents have been accompanied by violence. You are cautioned to limit road travel outside major towns or cities to daylight hours and travel in convoys, if possible, in case of breakdowns. When driving, be wary of other motorists warning you of a mechanical problem or loose tire. This may be a ruse used by thieves to get you to stop the vehicle. Most of all be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times to ensure that you aren't being followed.
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X