• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance - using no claims on 2 policies short term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance - using no claims on 2 policies short term?

Got mrs new car. Worked out cheaper to cancel existing insurance on old shed she had and start new policy so I did.

Didn't rush to cancel old policy cos I won't get much back anyway (£30!) and I ain't sold it yet so don't want it nicked and uninsured (unlikely though).

But then I thought, in theory, although temporary, I'm now using my NCD on two policies. Wonder what would happen if I claimed on new car policy and they found out I still had the old one? Might not be great because I'd claimed a NCD when still using on another policy. I guess in theory they could either invalidate or ask me cough up full premium for new policy.

Anyone know much about this? Leave policy on old car for now or cancel sharpish to ensure I aint using NCD twice?
    Last edited by psychocandy; 25 January 2013, 16:09.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Your skill of understatement knows no bounds.... 'Might not be cool because I'd claimed a NCD when still using on another policy.' ??? Don't know about cool. Would think it is bordering on illegal and when they refuse to pay out when you have injured someone you will expect some gaol time.

Don't piss about with insurance. Speak to both providors and get it sorted pronto. Insurers are under no obligation to advise you your policy is invalid even if they know. It is your responsibility. With the technology today it won't take them 2 mins to see one car is with two policies. If the police are involved all hell will break lose. Sort it before you **** someone elses life over.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why not ask your brother for advice?

Comment

You can't temporarily use a NCD against two policies. Its just not possible and will invalidate both policies if they find out. AND if you have an accident they will find out.

Sort it out now.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Your skill of understatement knows no bounds.... 'Might not be cool because I'd claimed a NCD when still using on another policy.' ??? Don't know about cool. Would think it is bordering on illegal and when they refuse to pay out when you have injured someone you will expect some gaol time.

Don't piss about with insurance. Speak to both providors and get it sorted pronto. Insurers are under no obligation to advise you your policy is invalid even if they know. It is your responsibility. With the technology today it won't take them 2 mins to see one car is with two policies. If the police are involved all hell will break lose. Sort it before you **** someone elses life over.
          LOL. Different cars. Separate policies....

Chill mun NLUK. But I take your point. Old policy being cancelled as we talk.

Bet you pair neg me as well.... :-(
          Last edited by psychocandy; 25 January 2013, 16:12.

Comment

a couple of years back Wife got another car and when she contacted her insurance company they agreed to duplicate her NCD on her new car. So she now has two identical NCD. Now that's cool.

earlier this year she got yet another car - talk about petrol head - and her insurer gave her 5 years to start.

not bad
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Got mrs new car. Worked out cheaper to cancel existing insurance on old shed she had and start new policy so I did.

Didn't rush to cancel old policy cos I won't get much back anyway (£30!) and I ain't sold it yet so don't want it nicked and uninsured (unlikely though).

But then I thought, in theory, although temporary, I'm now using my NCD on two policies. Wonder what would happen if I claimed on new car policy and they found out I still had the old one? Might not be great because I'd claimed a NCD when still using on another policy. I guess in theory they could either invalidate or ask me cough up full premium for new policy.

Anyone know much about this? Leave policy on old car for now or cancel sharpish to ensure I aint using NCD twice?
              Unless you've been economical with the facts to the ins co, I just dont see how this can be. You cant apply your one NCB to two policies.

If you've done this, you've not only provided false info but also defrauded the ins co so at least one, potentially both policies could be void. And if that's the case and the bizzies pull you or your wife, you \ she may be driving without insurance. Watch out for your car being impounded.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

it's totally retarded that NCB is on the car rather than the named driver, total BS in fact.

Comment

Bit the bullet and phoned the insurer. Told them the truth - they weren't that bothered when I explained the plan was to cancel the other one anyway and move to them but I hadnt done it before the policy started. They're happy as long as I do actually cancel the old one.

So old policy cancelled. Anyone want to buy a Daewoo matiz? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Bit the bullet and phoned the insurer. Told them the truth - they weren't that bothered when I explained the plan was to cancel the other one anyway and move to them but I hadnt done it before the policy started. They don't give a stuff as long as I do actually cancel the old one.

So old policy cancelled. Anyone want to buy a Daewoo matiz? :-)
                    FTFY... They don't care. In fact they make money when they don't have to pay out. Onus is on you to do right thing.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X