• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fairness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairness

"Starbucks threatens to suspend investment over Britain's 'unfair' tax attacks"

Kris Engskov, the multinational’s UK managing director, demanded talks at Downing Street after the Prime Minister said tax-avoiding companies had to “wake up and smell the coffee”.

Mr Cameron’s use of the phrase at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland last week was taken as a direct attack on Starbucks which has been criticised for not paying corporation tax in Britain.

Mr Engskov was so concerned about the “politicisation” of the tax issue that he asked for the talks at No 10, where he met officials last Friday. Starbucks argues that it makes no profits in the UK and so is not required to pay the tax. “The PM is singling the business out for cheap shots, a company that, it should not be forgotten, has pledged to pay tax now and into the future,” said a source close to the firm. "

Mr Engskov told No 10 officials that Starbucks was the only foreign-based company to attempt to tackle the tax issue, by agreeing voluntarily to pay additional tax of at least £20 million over the next two years. Once it enters profit — which could be in three years — it will automatically pay corporation tax, executives said. "

Starbucks threatens to suspend investment over Britain's 'unfair' tax attacks - Telegraph

So there you have it - it's totally unfair to point out that somebody who makes lots of money by diverting them offshore is unfairly dodging taxes other compaines based in UK have to pay

Unfair? no. Exceedingly ******* hypocritical? you decide....

David Cameron's family fortune 'made through tax-dodging offshore investment funds' | Mail Online
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Immature 18 year old sleeps with precocious 13 year old. Probably not particularly unusual. He was unlucky to end up in court.

In this case, it sounds like an appropriate punishment would be a compulsory re-education programme.

And if there are schools that teach what is claimed in the article, they should be prosecuted (and closed).

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Immature 18 year old sleeps with precocious 13 year old. Probably not particularly unusual. He was unlucky to end up in court.

In this case, it sounds like an appropriate punishment would be a compulsory re-education programme.

And if there are schools that teach what is claimed in the article, they should be prosecuted (and closed).
        what has that got to do with tax?

Anyway Starbucks is right. They did nothing illegal. If the UK does'nt like it then change the law.

AtW - you are really starting to p1ss me right off with your idea that what you pay in tax should be the "fair" amount. Everyone should maximize avoidance with NO evasion. A good start would be a simpler tax system. I have decided you don't pay a fair amount as you pay less than 100% of turnover. What is wrong with that? When you get back from DFS please let me know.....

Comment

As they claim not to make any profit in the UK then perhaps they should pull out of the market here. At the very least get a new Chief Exec in to turn things around
          Would be interested to see how he's been rewarded for his poor performance.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            what has that got to do with tax?

Wondered where my post in that other thread had gone!

Comment

I personally wouldn't miss starbucks. The one near work is a nexus of pretentious wankery where media luvvies compete to use the most made up words when ordering their coffee. I go in there for a laugh sometimes. Cappuchino. Medium. No. No. No. No. No. I'm not quite sure what the last 5 questions are.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Of course, Cameron's attack on Starbucks wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that Whitbread owned Costa Coffee are big donators to the Tory Party.

ATW, you need to open your eyes and "smell the coffee", instead of believing the propoganda that the newspapers (also in cahoots with Tory Party) feed you.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Of course, Cameron's attack on Starbucks wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that Whitbread owned Costa Coffee are big donators to the Tory Party.
                  Now that I can believe.

Comment

Starbuck's problem isn't really with the government. It's with their customers - the government didn't force Starbucks to change their policy - it was their customer base.

They can bang on all they like about tax avoidance being legal. There is no law that forces customers to keep coming into your shop if they disagree with your taxation policy.

Comment

Working...
                    X