• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ghastly Islington Luvvie Types

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghastly Islington Luvvie Types

I've had a perception for a while that the demographics of my local area have been changing - fewer and fewer locals can afford to live in the villages and they are being replaced by a certain type of incomer. My wife tells me this is all a figment of my imagination.

Well, this article seems to suggest otherwise as it looks like my local is to become a facsimilie of a trendy North London watering hole for incoming hordes of metropolitan twateratti.

Gentle Sunday afternoons spent in front of the roaring log fire with the all pervading smell of wet dog and woodsmoke filling my nostrils discussing life's big issues with Barbour clad country types will be replaced by the yapping of women with names like Xanthe and Philomena, who always have pusilanimous men with those effeminate frontal baby carrying pouches in tow.

Anyhow, a few choice quotes from the article that had me spluttering into my cornflakes this morning

"Now we have The Talbot, unrecognisable from its former guise as a pretty unremarkable hum drum kind of pub, into a cool, lo-fi hangout for the Mells Massive (sic)" Bloody cheek!! Firstly, us locals were quite happy with it the way it was and who the blazes are the "Mells Massive?" It's a sleepy country vilage FFS!
    Ah, something further down the page answers that I think: it will be run by "Matt Greenless... and wife Clare (who used to run the Engineer in Primrose Hill)" who live in Mells. As do Pearl Lowe and Danny Goffy from Supergrass it would appear, also of the Primrose Hill Set...

F-F-F-F-FECK OFF!!!!

I'm tempted to feed the dog an extra large can of Chum, wait a couple of hours go up to their opening night and have him do his business on their parque floor. On second thoughts, I probably won't as they'll think I'm a performance artist and welcome me with open arms.

I'm seriously considering moving to Burnham on Sea

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    I'm seriously considering moving to Burnham on Sea
    Please do.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Please do.
      And a happy new yert to you too Alexei

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Look on the bright side, this is the remains of the nearest pub to me

Property in (Formely site of the Star Inn) , Neath
        Did you eat the patrons after or before blowing it down?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

It was closed because of a rat infestation.

I've got my standards you know.
          Ah, yes the rats. Someone in New Delhi advised me to check in restaurants whether the rats were alive or dead before ordering a meal. If the rats were dead, avoid it, for whatever killed them...
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
          X