• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stamp Duty Avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp Duty Avoidance

Anyone used any schemes to reduce stamp duty when purchasing a house? I have come across a few which will reduce the stamp by 50%.

Thanks

Originally posted by speedo View Post
    Anyone used any schemes to reduce stamp duty when purchasing a house? I have come across a few which will reduce the stamp by 50%.

Thanks
    Do share what you've come across...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      if you Google it there are companies that help you do this - their policy is something like the following - as you exchange, you exchange again to an agent who then sells the house back to you again..... the whole exchange and exchange occurs simultaneously and therefore eliminates the stamp - the 50% is the fee to the agent.

I am sceptical so wanted to know if anyone has carried this out without any issues?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        And he doesn't mean a pic of your sisters face.......
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Don't do it.

HMRC Hails Victory In Stamp Duty Avoidance Case

It's now fully on the radar.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            And he doesn't mean a pic of your sisters face.......
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Spoke to both my accountant and estate agent about this and the current method is to use the cost of the white goods/furniture/carpet to reduce the actual price of the house so less duty or even dropping you in to a lower bracket. New home sellers do it to get the homes under the first level by throwing in carpets, curtains, white goods etc and then can knock 8-10k off the price so if the house is up for £255000 it becomes £245000+ 10k of goods which drops it in to the 1% bracket.

Problem is HMRC is wise to this and keeps an eye on it and people have been caught for it. Comment from one site says..

‘You have to be realistic about big amounts that will be looked at by HMRC. You cannot be seen to be manipulating the market price [of chattels or the property] as that will not wash with HMRC,’ Hollingworth said.
              Interesting read on this site...

How to reduce your stamp duty bill - The Lolly from Citywire Money
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh, just to note both said forget it as well. It's not worth it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's also not allowed any more. I was looking to get a new place a few years ago and was told that it had been stamped down on hard.
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    It's also not allowed any more. I was looking to get a new place a few years ago and was told that it had been stamped down on hard.
                    thanks guys...

Comment

Working...
                    X