• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thoughts on this please is BN66 / Section 58 / IVA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an interesting situation that I would welcome any thoughts on;

In September 2009 I went into a Debt Management Programme (mainly becasue my contract rate dropped £25k a year)
    I pay over a £1,000 a month into the scheme and currently have paid £32k over the last 2.5 years

Due to struggling to make this payments I made a "Proposal for Final Settlement" (a friend offered to pay it) A further £17.5k

This was all looking good until HMRC have challenged this because on my IVA it says £1,500 and they say its +£100k

My questions is: 1.) How can they ask for the +£100k when its not 100% legally decided
    2.) If they can they ask for this amount now why wasnt it mentioned in 2009 when the IVA was agreed

The problem is this is holding things up and even my IP currently has no idea what to do. They are ringing HMRC today

thanks in advance

Hi DB. What does IP mean in this instance?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Insolvency Practitioner?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Insolvency Practitioner?
        WHS
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The HMRC can say you owe anything they want, it is upto you to contest this and until there is a final judgement in your favour they will continue to say you owe the full amount.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            The HMRC can say you owe anything they want, it is upto you to contest this and until there is a final judgement in your favour they will continue to say you owe the full amount.
            This is my problem. If they stick to it then even if I carried on paying the IVA for the next 2.5 years they wouldnt sign it off until their requested full amount is paid. This is still being challenged, has been going on years and potentialy years to come
            I'm stuck in a catch22 position

Wondered if anyone has come across it or got any thoughts on it. thanks for replies so far

Comment

Originally posted by doublebubble View Post
              Got an interesting situation that I would welcome any thoughts on;

In September 2009 I went into a Debt Management Programme (mainly becasue my contract rate dropped £25k a year)
              I pay over a £1,000 a month into the scheme and currently have paid £32k over the last 2.5 years

Due to struggling to make this payments I made a "Proposal for Final Settlement" (a friend offered to pay it) A further £17.5k

This was all looking good until HMRC have challenged this because on my IVA it says £1,500 and they say its +£100k

My questions is: 1.) How can they ask for the +£100k when its not 100% legally decided
              2.) If they can they ask for this amount now why wasnt it mentioned in 2009 when the IVA was agreed

The problem is this is holding things up and even my IP currently has no idea what to do. They are ringing HMRC today

thanks in advance
              Why are you counting the rate drop by year when contracts are generally by day or hourly? You are talking around £100 a day. If it dropped this much why did you stay for a year? Was this a market drop or just the contract you were on or something?

I presume there is some mitigating circumstances here we are not understanding as the numbers don't seem to add up.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 29 January 2013, 18:05.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Why are you counting the rate drop by year when contracts are generally by day or hourly? You are talking around £100 a day. If it dropped this much why did you stay for a year? Was this a market drop or just the contract you were on or something?

I presume there is some mitigating circumstances here we are not understanding as the numbers don't seem to add up.
                I don't think that's the point really NLUK. We can't help with this as we don't have the facts and more importantly we are not tax advisors.

Were you in a scheme to account for the £98K gap? The BN66 people went back to their scheme providers for help refuting HMRC claims. Can't you do the same?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I only have a basic understanding of IVA but a few questions:

1) Did HMRC agree to the terms of the IVA in Sept 2009?

2) Was the total amount agreed by all parties, including HMRC, as £49.5k (£32k already paid + £17.5k outstanding)?

3) The £1500 - is that what's showing on the IVA as being owed to HMRC?

I'm surprised your IP doesn't know what to do in this situation. It might be worth getting another professional opinion.

Btw, I presume you are aware of the BN66/S58 thread? It might be worth cross posting your situation there as a lot of people have looked into IVA/Bankruptcy.
                  http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...008-a-299.html

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    I only have a basic understanding of IVA but a few questions:

1) Did HMRC agree to the terms of the IVA in Sept 2009?

2) Was the total amount agreed by all parties, including HMRC, as £49.5k (£32k already paid + £17.5k outstanding)?

3) The £1500 - is that what's showing on the IVA as being owed to HMRC?

I'm surprised your IP doesn't know what to do in this situation. It might be worth getting another professional opinion.

Btw, I presume you are aware of the BN66/S58 thread? It might be worth cross posting your situation there as a lot of people have looked into IVA/Bankruptcy.
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...008-a-299.html
                    Firstly once again many thanks for the replies; I will try and answer them all

northernladuk - I used the rate drop by year as when applying for the IVa they dealt more in annual salary however it was a £120 a day drop. This was a market drop for me. tbh I should apologise becasue me mentioning the figures in the IVA are somewhat irrelevant. The point of the thread was the fact I entered the IVA with a figure of £1,500 against the HMRC but now I am trying to settle it, the +£100k figure has been mentioned.

cojak - I am one of the many contractors with Montpelier so they are refuting HMRC claims. This is the problem though. I want to end my IVA now and move on (BN66 decision aside) however this figure is preventing me from doing so.

DR - 1) I am trying to find this out. I thought it was agreed however apparently it only needs 75% of votes to go your way to be agreed and that includes anyone that doesnt reply. Therefore it is possible HMRC never voted at the time

2) The £32k is what I have already paid. The £17.k is my offer for final settlement. My IVA is 56p in the £ and when initially discussed the offer I put in should be considered a good one

3) Yes the £1,500 is what is on the IVA

I nearly put this post in that section but wasnt 100% sure so created new thread

I'll post it

thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X