• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Belgium: 1 - England: 0

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Belgium: 1 - England: 0

No not another world cup defeat for England, but an update for those interested in the joys of Belgium bureaucracy.

After spending ages trying to get a copy of my diploma/cert from god knows how many years ago, they've turned it down anyway.

Unfortunately with it not being a university degree (yep, I expect some flak on that point), but rather a full-time course at a technical college they seem to have simply totted up the number of hours and decided it ain't good enough.

So now, according to my accountant - unless I fight the decision - until I pass/complete some noddy basic accounting and business management course (in Dutch or French) legally I shouldn't continue to work here on a freelance basis.

Given that I just started a very nice 6 monther, I think the phrase "**** that for a joke" springs to mind.

yes yes.... but you never answered the important question - can a vistor from the UK walk into a Belgium arms dealer & buy a gun?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Is IT there a regulated profession like legal here?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        yes yes.... but you never answered the important question - can a vistor from the UK walk into a Belgium arms dealer & buy a gun?
        As far as I'm aware the answer is no. You have to be registered as living here, i.e. blue EU card.

So in my case the idea of nipping down to the shops and heading off to the town hall won't be happening any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
          until I pass/complete some noddy basic accounting and business management course (in Dutch or French) legally I shouldn't continue to work here on a freelance basis.
          What's the problem with that? You have gone so far and now you are stopping at the sight of a small hill?
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Is IT there a regulated profession like legal here?
            No it's not, then it would be even more complicated.

This is just to register as self-employed, which requires either a cert/degree/diploma considered acceptable, or can speak French/Dutch fluently enough to do a crash course and pass the state exam.

A Belgium girl I know, who did a part-time course in social studies, can apparently become a freelance IT consultant with her 'diploma' without any problems.

Comment

It seems to me that requirement of having degree in order to be self-employed is against EU laws on free workforce movement and other things: talking of language I think its only up to employers to decide if your level of language is sufficient, the state can't set such barrier for ALL jobs.

Comment

Currently in a state of limbo comme toi, JB.
                Everything was OK before, but they changed the rules, then I left the country and have come back.
                I have had to re-register, and have had to re-apply to the "Carrefour des entreprises" to register as self-employed again, and they want to see my diplômes. I have a degree, but not in IT, so should be OK, but no news yet. Why they can't just say "This guy was here before in IT, let's wave him through", I don't know.
                Will keep you informed.
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  the state can't set such barrier for ALL jobs.
                  I don't think it's such a nazi idea to require people to have a minimum command of the local language to get a job in a country. But then again... PC can easily go mad.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Franko, I certainly haven't given up thats for sure. Hence my comment about what they can do with the idea of me quitting my current job, whether it's legal or not.

I've been looking at the option of the course. To be honest I wish I'd just done that in the first place, would have given far less grief.

Whether my Dutch is up to it is another question. Been trying to ask various Belgian contractors what the exam is like, but none of them seem to have needed it.

AtW, the point where language comes in is if your qualifications aren't accepted then you have to do the exam (written/verbal), which afaik is only in french, german or dutch.

Comment

Working...
                    X