• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefits debit card - best idea EVER!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits debit card - best idea EVER!

Not for use on booze, fags, sky tv.

Discussion on 5live this morning. Some MP starting a bill in parliament.

Brilliant idea. About time we stopped people using benefits as a lifestyle option.
    Don't expect the scroungers and the 'care bears' will like it though......

Must admit, even being from a severely working class background (labour would win the seat with a 3 legged donkey!) I find myself more and more intolerant of the benefits system as a whole.

Probably getting a bit right wing in my old age.....
    Last edited by psychocandy; 30 January 2013, 11:11.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Not for use on booze, fags, sky tv.

Discussion on 5live this morning. Some MP starting a bill in parliament.

Brilliant idea. About time we stopped people using benefits as a lifestyle option.
    Don't expect the scroungers and the 'care bears' will like it though......

Must admit, even being from a severely working class background (labour would win the seat with a 3 legged donkey!) I find myself more and more intolerant of lazy scroungers.... Probably getting a bit right wing in my old age.....
    Could be an idea in combination with some amount of pocket money; I don't object to people on benefits having a bit of pleasure from fags and a pint now and then and I expect most people who temporarily claim unemployment benefit between jobs are actually bona-fide, looking for work and will start a new job as soon as they get the chance, but such a scheme might be helpful for the less motivated types.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Must admit, even being from a severely working class background (labour would win the seat with a 3 legged donkey!) I find myself more and more intolerant of lazy scroungers.... Probably getting a bit right wing in my old age.....
      Why would coming from a working class background make you more tolerant of "lazy scroungers" in the first place?

Comment

I will be going down the local housing scheme to barter 10 packs of fags and vodka miniatures for groceries with the local chavs.

Comment

Nice idea in principle but possibly one that will cost a lot more to implement that it will actually bring in benefits.

Comment

Most twatish idea I've heard in a long time and I'm quite old.

The long term 'professional' scrounger would just barter goods to get what they want.

The short term claimant who has being put out of work, but usually finds something else in a few months is punished through no fault of his/her own.

Also some people claim benefits so they can nurse their partners etc 24 hours a day and thereby saving the state a fortune, are these to be denied some simple pleasures?

Oh what about ex-soldiers with barely a body left to exist in?

Cnuts
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

We should scrap benefits completely. Open workhouses for the poor, let them beg on the street and drop the price of gin.

You know it makes sense.

MF in 'Hogarth' Mode.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Read the article on the Grauniad about this and read some of the comments, it was really kicking off lol hooooomaaaaan rights etc

Personally I believe the Government should have a word with Rupert Murdoch about stopping Sky for scroungers lol
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                  Why would coming from a working class background make you more tolerant of "lazy scroungers" in the first place?
                  If anything it makes you more intolerant of them especially when you've been mired in it for so long
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

It seems a decent solution in theory. Blocking booze and fags though... what about chocolate and other luxuries?!

Not sure how it stops you getting Sky though, that's on a DD surely.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X