• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon Kindle Fire HD and Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Kindle Fire HD and Ireland

My folks, on a recent trip to the UK went and bought a kindle Fire as they were flying back. But as they live in Ireland, they can hardly use any of the features as it wants to use amazon.co.uk rather than amazon.com that they ahve to use over there.

Does anybody know if its possible to get it to use amazon.com?

Probably should have been in Technical, but only a handful of people look in there!!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    My folks, on a recent trip to the UK went and bought a kindle Fire as they were flying back. But as they live in Ireland, they can hardly use any of the features as it wants to use amazon.co.uk rather than amazon.com that they ahve to use over there.

Probably should have been in Technical, but only a handful of people look in there!!
    Why do they have to use Amazon.com? As I can't be arsed to phone my mate up I just went to Amazon.ie which takes you to the co.uk site.

Simply sign up for a .co.uk site and everything should be fine.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Why do they have to use Amazon.com? As I can't be arsed to phone my mate up I just went to Amazon.ie which takes you to the co.uk site.

Simply sign up for a .co.uk site and everything should be fine.
      Amazon.co.uk requires a UK card and address - they have neither.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Amazon.co.uk requires a UK card and address - they have neither.
        Who did they come and visit? Either use their details or fake an address and buy a prepaid credit card. Its the only way you'll get round a system based on:-

is address in the uk
        does credit card number match cards issued in the UK.

I've £4 odd on a uk prepaid credit card they can use that if they like.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Who did they come and visit? Either use their details or fake an address and buy a prepaid credit card. Its the only way you'll get round a system based on:-

is address in the uk
          does credit card number match cards issued in the UK.

I've £4 odd on a uk prepaid credit card they can use that if they like.
          The address is not an issue, they can use mine. Its the card. Never thought of using a prepaid credit card. Can they top a uk prepaid card up using an Irish account?

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The address is not an issue, they can use mine. Its the card. Never thought of using a prepaid credit card. Can they top a uk prepaid card up using an Irish account?
            Would of thought so. Either that or just give them one of your card numbers and charge them for what they use.

Comment

Cheers eek - never thought of the prepaid bit.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Cheers eek - never thought of the prepaid bit.
                You want one with credit / debit card loading. Its not a recommendation but this one should wortk

Kalixa Card - the contactless prepaid MasterCard

Comment

I cant believe this. I dont see amazon linking the kindle only to the country bought in. Surely its just a question of changing some setting either on the kindle or the amazon account?

I've logged into amazon.com to buy stuff before and never had a problem. They're probably only hitting the product page and their basket and not actually completing the purchase so think they cant do anything.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    I cant believe this. I dont see amazon linking the kindle only to the country bought in. Surely its just a question of changing some setting either on the kindle or the amazon account?

I've logged into amazon.com to buy stuff before and never had a problem. They're probably only hitting the product page and their basket and not actually completing the purchase so think they cant do anything.
                    Their app store uses a different system and uses rules designed to match media property rights. To play the game you need to pretend to be English as Irish rights may be owned by an entirely different company.

Comment

Working...
                    X