• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been there, seen it, done it.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left school and got a job as an office junior with a stockbroker and made it to the market floor after passing some exams. That could have been an amazing career but...

I went to work for the MoD cos there might be planes involved and there was but grateful for the astronomy degree I achieved that they paid for and fcked off home cos I didn't want to work with nukes anymore. So what to do then?

No idea but had some dead end jobs in shops and supermarkets while I got better at playing music and wow, suddenly I'm at the Albert Hall and never looked back as far as music was concerned. Tours, TV, radio, session work, I still do it but sorted an IT career cos I love doing that and it's more of a hobby than a job and always will be. Two Plan B's that failed but what the hell I could afford to indulge.

In between over the past thirty years I've worked on building sites, in pubs, been a bouncer, cleaned toilets, coached students and done just about done anything that would pay the bills.

So, as I've alluded to in a previous post had I been born a few years later the chances are I wouldn't have done much of this because the opportunities just wouldn't have been there.

Where next? Who knows but I have a wealth of experience and maybe just maybe I'll have an edge and have a decent life left.

Kids nowadays? God help them.
    Me, me, me...

milk round, bread round, mechanical engineer, Barman,telecomms engineer, radar technician, bar manager, single parent, systems analyst, business analyst, developer
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What do you want to be when you grow up?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        What do you want to be when you grow up?
        Be a space cadet
        Me, me, me...

Comment

I was pondering this earlier today. Got a b'day coming up which will take me to 25 years from standard retirement age. How do I want to spend the next 25 years...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            I was pondering this earlier today. Got a b'day coming up which will take me to 25 years from standard retirement age. How do I want to spend the next 25 years...
            Females don't retire at 80???
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Females don't retire at 80???
              -ve

You must spread it around etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                wow.

what an absolutley fantastic prospect.

I was just starting to motor when I was your age, you are miles ahead of the game

do you fancy older men

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

No idea what I wanted to do when I left school ( Germany forces brat with no family in the UK). After a couple months of feck all I managed to get into an accounts department of a small company. Moved to their minuscule computer dept. Got 98% in a computer exam. Uphill from there
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I danced with Nureyev once when he worked with the Parisian ballet.

Comment

Working...
                    X