• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I ruled the world.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I ruled the world.....

I wonder how difficult/feasible it would be for the benefits system to be a like a single pot for each person, and as you go through life public funded services (schools, university, NHS, unemployment etc) be deducted from the pot, with the rest being your pension.

The theory being the more public services you use for your life the lower the pension is at the end, don't claim much, get a bigger pension.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I wonder how difficult/feasible it would be for the benefits system to be a like a single pot for each person, and as you go through life public funded services (schools, university, NHS, unemployment etc) be deducted from the pot, with the rest being your pension.

The theory being the more public services you use for your life the lower the pension is at the end, don't claim much, get a bigger pension.
    If I ruled the world....

I'd have all the unemployed shot. Case solved.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Basically you're saying privatise everything and give people a lump sum to get going.

Not a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        If I ruled the world....

I'd have all the unemployed shot. Case solved.
        or at least neutered...

Comment

The problem with this is that you are assuming rationalism. A lot of people don't see beyond next week never mind long term. Those would probably go to school three or four times. They would binge on cancer treatment and get redundantised as much as possible, therefore signing on the dole at the same time as claiming student beneductions. The net result of this is that those long on pension mindedness would never get anything because of lack of compound interest.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
            The problem with this is that you are assuming rationalism. A lot of people don't see beyond next week never mind long term.
            I tend to think that is because of the welfare state. There's not much incentive to act rationally because people know the government will bail them out.

Comment

Sounds like a pretty complicated IT system to manage that.

I'm in!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Sounds like a pretty complicated IT system to manage that.

I'm in!
                Failing that, bring back communism!
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

You could take all the money in the world, divide it up equally and 12 months later you would have some people who'd doubled what they were initially given and some who had lost the lot - that's people for you
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    You could take all the money in the world, divide it up equally and 12 months later you would have some people who'd doubled what they were initially given and some who had lost the lot - that's people for you
                    You only need to look at the former USSR. Some more than doubled it.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X