• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension Performance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension Performance

Just got my annual statement.

Value of pension on 4 Jan 2012 = £x

Contribution made on 31 Mar 2012 = £10k

Value of pension on 4 Jan 2013 = £x + £5k

Is there any point?

No

One of the hardest lessons in life to be learned is do not let other people look after your money

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

Is there any point?
      For your pension provider, yes.

My pension is averaging 3.45% growth PER MONTH, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Is there any point?
        I sympathise; Dutch insurance firms have pretty much ruined the pensions of anybody who's between 30 and 50 with their mis-selling, enormous 'administration costs' and abject failure to invest in a way that will deliver reliable returns. I still pay in, but I've given up on the idea of ever getting a pension out of it and intend to study for a job that I can carry on doing into old age, perhaps taking the pittance of a pension to top up on whatever work I'll be doing. It was a big scandal here in NL which ended with pension firms avoiding court by agreeing to give minimal compensation on their own terms, and that compensation would barely provide one month's extra pension. If that scandal had happened in the food sector there'd have been prosecutions, but as usual with the finance sector, companies are given a slap on the wrist an the individual conmen are allowed to get away with it, even worse, rewarded with failure bonusses.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

My pension is averaging 3.45% growth PER MONTH, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
          Indeed, not all pensions and pension providers are created equally.

Comment

Is there any point?
            No. Stack your cash ISAs up and then invest in premium bonds etc.
            They give you a tax free income in your dotage.

Buying an annuity is like walking into a bookmakers, they are stacking the odds that you die before you use the money up. If you have to then take up smoking and go to the doctors complaining of chest pains etc. They pay more out if you're ill.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Pensions are tax free in and taxed on the way out.

ISA's are taxed income in and tax free (gains and income) out.

Unless you are paying higher rate income tax now and will be paying lower rate income tax when you retire, what's the point of the pension? And if you are paying higher rate income tax now, you are doing something wrong as a director anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Ditto + .....my annual statement was very surprising.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Since I've been contracting I've been putting 10% of my gross income into my pension. Plus 10 years of permiedom with 15% contributions - (7.5 me, 7.5 employer). It's all worth squat.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Pensions are tax free in and taxed on the way out.

ISA's are taxed income in and tax free (gains and income) out.

Unless you are paying higher rate income tax now and will be paying lower rate income tax when you retire, what's the point of the pension? And if you are paying higher rate income tax now, you are doing something wrong as a director anyway.
                    If I'm paying a decent amount into an ISA, that's surely going to push me into the higher tax bracket, no?

Comment

Working...
                    X