• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there really no security in contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there really no security in contracting?

The more I work contracts and see contractors around me, the more I realise that security for permies is just a myth...

If you are a contractor with sought after skills, then you tend to be kept on. Permies in cushie jobs are the ones that tend to go first. Not only that but I have found in big organisations that for every permie there is a contractor doing the real work......

Not only that but because you are in a "risky" profession, you will tend to work yourself into a very strong position, ironically

Welcome to the secure way to work - contracting (only if you are any good that is)!

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    The more I work contracts and see contractors around me, the more I realise that security for permies is just a myth...

If you are a contractor with sought after skills, then you tend to be kept on. Permies in cushie jobs are the ones that tend to go first. Not only that but I have found in big organisations that for every permie there is a contractor doing the real work......

Not only that but because you are in a "risky" profession, you will tend to work yourself into a very strong position, ironically

Welcome to the secure way to work - contracting (only if you are any good that is)!
    Presumably you don't work at 2e2.

Comment

I am very secure, I am certain my LtdCo won't ever fire me
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I am very secure, I am certain my LtdCo won't ever fire me
        Same here however my boss is a slave driver and a tight&rse

Seriously though i am more secure as a contractor, when my contract ends i am ready i know how to interview i know the questions and answers, permies don't have the same mentality unless their actively looking to move

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
          Same here however my boss is a slave driver and a tight&rse
          You think that's bad, I have to sleep with my boss!

Comment

You can earn as much in 4 months as a permie can get all years. So as long as you always save a warchest there's never an issue.

Comment

What's the average length a contractor stays with each client? What's the average length of time a permie is employed by each company?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by deanosity View Post

Comment

Originally posted by deanosity View Post
                  Is he a tightarse?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

One is job security, the other is career security... Different things so can't really compare with the permies. Also different outlook to work and expectation of that work so again can't compare. What a permie looks in a secure job is different to what a contractor considers secure...

Pretty flawed observation all round IMO. Time to ditch that client and get a new gig somewhere else so you can see if your observation still holds true or not.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X