• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Water Softener

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Softener

We've got an old (probably 20 years old) water softener plumbed into the mains. It sits under a sink in the garage. We've never used it and are not sure it works properly.

Any ideas what to do to recommission it? Do I call our local plumber and ask him to check it out? Has technology moved on and it's likely I'll need a more efficient eco replacement? Do they have lots of working parts or do I just chuck a block of salt in and see what happens?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

HTH

I'd start with throwing some salt in and see what happens approach
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

technology hasn't moved on massively, they have got a bit more efficient. AIUI

Plenty copies of manuals on the net. Check which headset is fitted (probably an autorol one), most of the rest will be common sense (its just a bucket and some beads in a porous flask).

If it aint leaking as it goes through its cycle its probably ok.

But Rinse it well first and run plenty of water through it.

Note the kitchen tap & outside tap shouldn't be fed from the softener. (allegedly some salt leaches through and its bad for you). For the kitchen tap & fridge I use a 15mm whole house filter (£20 from Screwfix).

mine is 20 years old and had been stored 10 years (from eBay) worked first time. One of the best £30 I have spent.

Thoroughly recommend it, your taps will stay scale free and the shower will feel silky.

There are different types of salt read the manual to get the right one.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Both really useful replies. Thank you.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Both really useful replies. Thank you.
          Fook... useful replies in General ... and a polite response

Place has gone to the dogs
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
          X