• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No contract until start date!?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No contract until start date!?!

Right got an offer (albeit verbal) from a bank. Agent said that the outsourced HR team (Hays IT) will provide the contract on the first day ("as it may take a while to get references from the bank") ... cr*p ...

Never heard of this practice and not willing to take the risk - he says that Hays do this at JP Morgan and UBS ...

Sounds like bollo**s to me ...

Anyone had any such experience as getting bad vibes from this agent and the whole situation ...

Thoughts appreciated as never heard of such a potential scam ...

As a starting point tell them that you are opting into the conduct of employment agents act until you have seen and accepted the contract and all T&Cs.

NOTE: You may find the contracto goes South rather rapidly.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Total bolloxs
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I have started half my contracts without the paperwork being signed. Its common.
        The reason is usually the speed between advert,interview,start date.
        If the agency is inserting a delay for a different reason then you are right to get the heebies

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Started my current one and got the contract on the 3rd day.

Comment

No, this is not all right (unless you've worked with this agent before, but I'd still have my doubts...).

"Why?" I hear you ask...

If you say "yes" without the "subject to T&Cs" caveat -THEY DON'T HAVE TO GIVE YOU A START DATE OR PAYMENT IN ORDER TO HOLD YOU TO THE VERBAL ACCEPTANCE.

This means that they can string you along for the duration and if you take another contract they would be in a strong position to take you to court. And win.

(It's been done and discussed on this very forum - all we could do was sympathise with the poor naive sod).
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hays...

need you know more?

Well my experience with Hays was pretty awfull anyway.
              http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

Been dealing with Hays via another agent - I'm already fed up after 1 week and thinking about forgetting the whole thing ...

Comment

B0llocks - I just spent two years working at JP Morgan and while they do check refrences they don't hold contracts up for it. Plus I also know JP Morgan now only use two agencies and Hay's wasn't one of them (Least not 3 months ago when I left).
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                    B0llocks - I just spent two years working at JP Morgan and while they do check refrences they don't hold contracts up for it. Plus I also know JP Morgan now only use two agencies and Hay's wasn't one of them (Least not 3 months ago when I left).
                    Wrong! Wrong!! and wrong!!! I too have done a recent stretch with JP and I have some friends still contracting there. All agents will tell you that they are preferred suppliers. Out of eight contractors in the team there were six different agents, Each department in JP has some autonomy in selecting agents so the policies will vary. There were delays in engaging some of the contractors due to the credit and security checks. However what surprised me was that one of the contractors was a FTV Arab who produced a piece of paper saying he was checked in his own country. HR accepted that.
                    HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Working...
                    X