• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benched

Benched as of next week. What's the market looking like? Getting some calls but mostly tyre kickers.

Don't you just hate it when a pimp calls and says they have numerous roles on the bubble at the moment, then ask you what your core skills, day rate etc etc then say ok well if we find a match we will give you a call.

Surely this is a waste of their time. If you don't have a role, why call? I can only assume this is some number of calls per day type of metric that they have to hit, or some way of alleviating the boredom.

They are sales people, if he can place you he will. It is his job. They get CV's and then do a keyword match and start spamming you with roles. I get loads, few are actually in my skill range but would rather get 10 crap roles with 1 good one than none at all.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      They are sales people, if he can place you he will. It is his job. They get CV's and then do a keyword match and start spamming you with roles. I get loads, few are actually in my skill range but would rather get 10 crap roles with 1 good one than none at all.
      Spam emails I can handle, it's when they ring up saying they have a few roles but never actually tell you what these roles are, or where, or what they entail.

What's in it for them. It's a bit like me working for sky, ringing you at home and telling you we have lots of packages and add ons, not going into any detail and then ringing off. Waste of a phone call. What's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by Kryten View Post
        Spam emails I can handle, it's when they ring up saying they have a few roles but never actually tell you what these roles are, or where, or what they entail.

What's in it for them. It's a bit like me working for sky, ringing you at home and telling you we have lots of packages and add ons, not going into any detail and then ringing off. Waste of a phone call. What's the point?
        They are just fishing to get you on the books. Don't sweat it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          They are just fishing to get your ex-managers on their books. Do sweat it.
          FTFY.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

I am finding the market bad, some permie roles, but not that many contractor.
            Also the rates are down.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
              I am finding the market bad, some permie roles, but not that many contractor.
              Also the rates are down.
              Best time of year to be looking, all those new budgets.

Keep uploading your cv to jobserve, monster, job site etc.
              Re-upload even if only to move a comma. The last updated date on these sites drives the agencies.

Widen your search, geographically, be prepared to work away.

Widen your search technically, is there any roles you could do but might be a stretch and require some background reading? This reading could occupy bench time.

Quieter markets provide opportunities

Comment

The market is bad indeed; two of my friends got benched this week. One actually contracting in the US, an American who used to live in Frankfurt and the other one here in Germany, two very different fields indeed. My cousin in the UK was sacked just before Christmas from his permie role. Seems the market is f*** up globally.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 February 2013, 11:13.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  The market is bad indeed; two of my friends got benched this week. One actually contracting in the US, an American who used to live in Frankfurt and the other one here in Germany, two very different fields indeed. Seems the market is f*** up globally.
                  Have you ever posted anything cheery on here ever though?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The market is bad indeed; two of my friends got benched this week. One actually contracting in the US, an American who used to live in Frankfurt and the other one here in Germany, two very different fields indeed. Seems the market is f*** up globally.
                    2 people in Germany not working is not an example of no work anywhere.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X