• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to stay in New York City.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to stay in New York City.

In moment of madness I've agreed to fund a week in NYC for my daughter and my niece in July this year as an eighteenth birthday present for them. Any recommendations for reasonable hotels? Clean, tidy and, especially, safe. Nothing too luxurious.

Also, aside from shopping, what other cultural activities can be recommended... and cheap flights?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    In moment of madness I've agreed to fund a week in NYC for my daughter and my niece in July this year as an eighteenth birthday present for them. Any recommendations for reasonable hotels? Clean, tidy and, especially, safe. Nothing too luxurious.

Also, aside from shopping, what other cultural activities can be recommended... and cheap flights?
    oh boy, that is going to hit the wallet.

Comment

Staten Island ferry, for the whole holiday, it is free.

Do not whatever you do let them get near Barneys.

Comment

When I went last May, I managed to get an amazing cheap deal (flight and hotel) on last minute for THE WALDORF ASTORIA... it was really good, and you must go to their Sunday brunch...that was a wow.

However years before that I went to the best western hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          oh boy, that is going to hit the wallet.
          I'm trying not to think too hard about that.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I took the wife a few years back. Stayed in the Tribeca/Soho area in a Hampton Inn. Was a clean, modern, reasonable priced hotel (for Manhattan) with breakfast and wifi included. Little italy and chinatown were close by for meals. That part of town is fairly south, but plenty of subway lines going north/south. On the first day I remember walking up Fifth avenue all the way up to the Empire state building and there were so many designer clothing shops and swanky hotels. I don't like shopping but the wife was very impressed. For me that walk was just a great way to immerse in New york, yellow taxis, and that odd steam coming out of manholes, plus you can see the empire state building all the way up the road. Fifth avenue takes you past Madison square and the Flatiron building too.

Would highly recommend 'top of the Rock' for awesome views of the city and central park.
            Ellis island and statue of liberty were great but take most of a day. Not sure two shopaholic girls would enjoy walking around Ellis island unless they're into history.
            I was unimpressed with time square, but was a good place to pick up tickets to see a show or a comedy club. We did a comedy club one night and got totally ripped off for drinks, but the comedy was really great.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              I took the wife a few years back. Stayed in the Tribeca/Soho area in a Hampton Inn. Was a clean, modern, reasonable priced hotel (for Manhattan) with breakfast and wifi included. Little italy and chinatown were close by for meals. That part of town is fairly south, but plenty of subway lines going north/south. On the first day I remember walking up Fifth avenue all the way up to the Empire state building and there were so many designer clothing shops and swanky hotels. I don't like shopping but the wife was very impressed. For me that walk was just a great way to immerse in New york, yellow taxis, and that odd steam coming out of manholes, plus you can see the empire state building all the way up the road. Fifth avenue takes you past Madison square and the Flatiron building too.

Would highly recommend 'top of the Rock' for awesome views of the city and central park.
              Ellis island and statue of liberty were great but take most of a day. Not sure two shopaholic girls would enjoy walking around Ellis island unless they're into history.
              I was unimpressed with time square, but was a good place to pick up tickets to see a show or a comedy club. We did a comedy club one night and got totally ripped off for drinks, but the comedy was really great.

Aye, but might be safer for two 18 yr olds to stay? More hustle and bustle 24 hours, like.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I'm trying not to think too hard about that.
                Keep me posted on this NAT. my 20 year old has a similar idea
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Keep me posted on this NAT. my 20 year old has a similar idea
                  Blimey. Kids these days!
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    Blimey. Kids these days!
                    Mine's gone to Birmingham. So far she's been threatened, robbed, and her accommodation set on fire. How bad can New York be?

Comment

Working...
                    X